Taste Testing and Body

So I have 2 beers that are almost ready for bottling, an Irish Red Ale and Cream Ale. I took a hydrometer reading of both and they were around 1.1. Anyway, I saved the beer from the test and poured both samples into small shot glasses for my wife to try when she got home. Of course I took a swig, right after the hydrometer reading and they actually both tasted great. Before my wife got home, I put the sample shot glasses in the fridge.

About 5 hours later, we got around to trying the samples. They tasted absolutely horrible. Does this sound normal or is something wrong with my batches? Also the samples were pretty thin in body. What are some tips to thicken up the beers or will the body thicken itself up during bottle conditioning?

Thanks!

First, I hope you meant 1.010 instead of 1.1.

Second, tasting samples of flat (normally warm) fermented beer, before carbonation, is frightening at first. It takes quite a while before your brain can equate the taste with what the final product might taste like. Carbonation and proper temps will make a huge difference.

[quote=“560sdl”]First, I hope you meant 1.010 instead of 1.1.

Second, tasting samples of flat (normally warm) fermented beer, before carbonation, is frightening at first. It takes quite a while before your brain can equate the taste with what the final product might taste like. Carbonation and proper temps will make a huge difference.[/quote]

+1. Carbonation does amazing things to beer. One of the first beers I kegged, a california common, I drank a 2oz sample every few days once it was hooked up to the gas, and took notes of how the beer changed. What was interesting was, there was a point where it was completely carbonated, but 2 additional days made the beer go from good to great. Crisp.

The carbonic ‘bite’ can add to the body, change the mouthfeel, and even in some cases, detract from a beer (like in english pale ales and irish reds – make sure to only carbonate to about 2-2.1 volumes for your red). It can make a beer harsh.

Also, if you put the samples in the fridge uncovered, you may have picked up some flavors from last week’s tuna casserole or a thousand other things, which could be pretty nasty :cheers: