Taste test

I know I shouldn’t but I can’t help but taste my beer when I take samples. So this brew spent 11 days in the primary, OG - 1.052. Last night I racked to a secondary “FG” 1.008.
This is my 3rd batch, 1st non Northernbrew batch. It is a brewers best american amber. I took a little taste test when I was racking, and man is it bitter. Not a hoppy bitter either. On brew day everything went smooth. I pitched the yeast at the very upper portion of the recommended range. This is my first brew that has tasted this bad at this stage. Is something wrong or am I a worried rookie brewer?

If you could give more details on the recipe, especially your hop schedule that would help. Also if you know your fermentation temps that could also prove useful :slight_smile:

2.00 lb Amber Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 33.06%
3.30 lb Amber Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 54.55%
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 12.40%
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop) Hops
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.6 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.3 IBU

I believe Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast

Fermentation temp 68-72

I pulled this info from another website. So I think it’s correct but not positive… the hop schedule is correct.

And all the extracts were a 60min boil, which is what the directions call for.

FERMENTABLES
3.3 lb. Amber LME
2.5 lb. Amber DME
SPECIALTY GRAINS
1 lb. Caramel 80L
HOPS
1.25 oz. Bittering (55min)
.5 oz. Aroma(5min)

Here is what you need. Sorry for all the posts!

If it tasted incredibly bitter my first thought would be that you may have gotten some of your dry hop matter into your tasting vessel, though I obviously don’t have any real way of confirming that.

Sorry for the confusion with the ingredients. I didn’t do any dry hopping just added the hop pellets to the boil. And the taste wasn’t really a hoppy bitter it was something else…i think. I hear that yeast is bitter, could it be just from floating yeast?

Actually tasting your beer at every step of the process is a good thing. Helps you learn how it changes with time and allows you to better predict your results. Taste away and don’t apologize for it!