Tap Water Not Cold Enough for Chiller

[quote=“Chris-P”][quote=“Chris-P”]Ok, so I got my pond pump. Now I need to figure out how to hook it up to my immersion chiller.

The connection from the pump to the tube should be pretty simple, I’ll just used a barbed fitting with with a 1" MPT that will screw onto the pump and then push onto a hose.

But on the other end of the hose, I need an adapter to connect to the existing garden hose connection on my IC. Not sure what type of adapter this calls for. Any thoughts?[/quote]

Would this work?

http://morebeer.com/products/brass-hose ... ?site_id=5[/quote]

It shows a hose barb, but the description says 1/2 MPT. What size is the port on your pump?

What’s pictured will work depending on your hose size and if you have a female garden hose on your IC.

You should be able to find one in a hardware store or plumbing supply.

I’ve just been chilling mine as far as it goes, then sticking the carboy, bunged with a solid stopper, in the fermenting fridge or kegerator over night and pitching the yeast in the morning. Works very nicely.

[quote=“mrv”][quote=“Chris-P”][quote=“Chris-P”]Ok, so I got my pond pump. Now I need to figure out how to hook it up to my immersion chiller.

The connection from the pump to the tube should be pretty simple, I’ll just used a barbed fitting with with a 1" MPT that will screw onto the pump and then push onto a hose.

But on the other end of the hose, I need an adapter to connect to the existing garden hose connection on my IC. Not sure what type of adapter this calls for. Any thoughts?[/quote]

Would this work?

http://morebeer.com/products/brass-hose ... ?site_id=5[/quote]

It shows a hose barb, but the description says 1/2 MPT. What size is the port on your pump?

What’s pictured will work depending on your hose size and if you have a female garden hose on your IC.

You should be able to find one in a hardware store or plumbing supply.[/quote]

I’ve got this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006M6 ... UTF8&psc=1

I think I use the 3/8" hose which is more than enough. There are cheaper pumps but this was shipped for free and it works great for me.

I’m proposing that instead of a 60 dollar pre-chiller you extend the connection from the faucet to the chiller with a long length of hose or tubing, depending on which your chiller has, that gets submerged in a bucket of ice water to chill the water before it gets to the immersion chiller.

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“Nighthawk”]
Am I reading your post correctly? Instead of a coil of copper, you propose a coil of vinyl/plastic/rubber in a bucket of ice water.
[/quote]

I’m proposing that instead of a 60 dollar pre-chiller you extend the connection from the faucet to the chiller with a long length of hose or tubing, depending on which your chiller has, that gets submerged in a bucket of ice water to chill the water before it gets to the immersion chiller.[/quote]

You omitted the important part of my previous post.

:wink:

[quote=“Nighthawk”][quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“Nighthawk”]
Am I reading your post correctly? Instead of a coil of copper, you propose a coil of vinyl/plastic/rubber in a bucket of ice water.
[/quote]

I’m proposing that instead of a 60 dollar pre-chiller you extend the connection from the faucet to the chiller with a long length of hose or tubing, depending on which your chiller has, that gets submerged in a bucket of ice water to chill the water before it gets to the immersion chiller.[/quote]

You omitted the important part of my previous post.

:wink: [/quote]

I haven’t actually tried this so I have no idea if it would work or not, I just thought it might be a cheap way to get around buying a pre-chiller. :?

I’ve tried running a hose through ice water. Like Nighthawk said, it’s a poor conductor of heat or cold. My brother-in-law uses a copper pre-chiller with a slow rate of flow. He says it drops his temps pretty quick, but I’m not sure what the temp of his well water is at. He lives near Yelm, WA.

I’ve had the best success with pumping ice water through the IC.

I run a hose to a five gallon bucket filled with ice. I put a water pump into the bucket and adjust the hose so that the water level stays constant. Cold water pumps through the IC. No problems.

Pre-chillers are effective enough to get the job done. All they really need to do is get the temperature of the chilling water about 10 °F (~5 °C) below the target wort temperature. Tap water around 75 °F running through a pre-chiller will melt a 10-lb. bag of ice pretty quickly (5-8 mins?), so heat is moving from the water to the ice. It may not be a thermodynamic marvel, but as a practical tool, it works well enough.

Chris Colby
Editor