Tannin extraction

How long do you guys typically wait after mash in to get your pH sample? I’m just wondering how long it takes for the pH to settle in and if its high, how long is too long before tannins start coming out before you get the pH adjusted?

10 to 15 minutes for the pH reading
Tannins I’m not sure of. I never had a pH reading that high that it would be a factor.

Usually 5-10 mins. I have to give it stir first, then check it or I get a false reading.

Within the first couple minutes after it completely mixed.

Tannin extraction has to do with pH and temperature, and needs both to be too high to happen. Remember that your malt releases phosphates and other compounds that have a buffering capacity. Do you suspect that your mash is above pH of 6?

Sorry about taking so long to answer this. Yes I do believe tannins to be the issue of many beers Ive brewed. Ive read that tannins are supposed to be astringent. Like sucking on a tea bag. I do not get that however. I have also read that tannins can make the beer harsh and bitter. That is exactly what I sense in these beers. Malt flavor is almost non existant, and this is in light colored beers where they wouldnt be overly malty anyway but I would describe these beers as not even beer like. If theres alot of hops they can be detected but almost seems like they are mellowed too. I would say that the beers I think are high pH that I made are very bland with a harsh bitterness to them. Sound right?

Sorry about taking so long to answer this. Yes I do believe tannins to be the issue of many beers Ive brewed. Ive read that tannins are supposed to be astringent. Like sucking on a tea bag. I do not get that however. I have also read that tannins can make the beer harsh and bitter. That is exactly what I sense in these beers. Malt flavor is almost non existant, and this is in light colored beers where they wouldnt be overly malty anyway but I would describe these beers as not even beer like. If theres alot of hops they can be detected but almost seems like they are mellowed too. I would say that the beers I think are high pH that I made are very bland with a harsh bitterness to them. Sound right?[/quote]

Sounds like you have too much bicarbonate in your water, actually.