Tallgrass Pro Series Kits from Northern Brewer

Mine was extract so maybe they didn’t take that into account. I don’t know much about how that would translate differently though.

Wow! I can’t imagine an extract kit being that far off. Did you end up with more than 5 gallons? Did you remember to add the candi sugar?

Did everything exactly as the recipe called for. Came out withn5 gallons. Usually my OG comes out 0.001-2 higher than it is predicted. Like I said it came out as iBrewmaster predicted it would be but nowhere near close to what the recipe said it would be from NB.

I think they messed up the extract recipe. It tastes good but very light on flavor. Used the lb of candi sugar too.

I would complain to NB. With it being so new, it’s possible they made a mistake. I extract brewed for several years, and like you, generally came out a few points ahead of the number NB published.

I’m glad we’re getting reviews on this kit. I’ve still not brewed it as I’m waiting for it to get a bit cooler but in my area, that might not be until late October so I may just go ahead and brew it and ferment in the lower 70’s.
It’s so damn hard to get my wort down to pitching temps without putting it in a swamp cooler for hours to chill down but I’m dying to try this.
Thanks for the updates and keep them comiing!

I’ve been wondering, how important is it that I use a secondary for the AG version. I always ferment 3 weeks in the primary and usually add a few days for a bigger beer but rarely do I use a secondary anymore.
If I go 3-4 weeks in a primary and 2 weeks in a keg before chilling, should that not be OK?

Pretty sure you can just use your keg as a secondary. Just don’t cool it till you want the yeast to stop fermenting all the way.

That’s basically what I do anyway but at about 76 degrees for a bit.

Thanks

I emailed head brewer Andrew Hood, and here’s his advice as far as fermentation temps for Velvet Rooster:

“What I do for the first 24 hours of the fermentation is keep the liquid at 67-68F. This way it gives the yeast a bit more time to grow up to the proper pitching rate. Then you can bump it up to 72F after to help dry the beer out and produce clean esters. Hope you enjoy the brew.”

This one is next on my brew schedule - kegging the Patersbier tomorrow which provided a nice big yeast cake for the Rooster. :cheers:

I just brewed with this extract kit as well, and my OG ended up around 1.070, similar to mhill. Has anyone else had that issue with this extract kit?

Finally getting to brew Oasis all grain tomorrow. I’ve had the kit for a while but had other beers to brew and wanted to wait a bit until it got just a bit cooler. Made the starter this morning.

Has anyone gotten to taste this kit yet or even the extract kit? I see no reviews on the NB site but I’m thinking it’s been available long enough that someone has been able to review it. I’m looking forward to this.

Did this one finally this past Friday. Very nice. I decided to increase to 5.5 gallons and expected to be much lower than the 1.072 on the recipe but ended up at 1.071 so I did well.
Beersmith actually gives this high SG numbers but it’s all moot.
The starter kicked in fast…about 5 hours later and 3 days later its still bubbling away at 64-65 degrees. The smells are awesome. Can’t wait another 5 weeks to try this one out. I’m still hoping to hear from those who have had this long enough to give a review of it.

I brewed up the Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat. Taste is right on the money. I think the lactose comes through a little more in the original but we all agreed that it was very very close. Awesome beer and NB did not disappoint with this kit.

I kegged this tonite after 3 days of the same FG…1.024. Much higher than I thought though I don’t know what it’s supposed to be. It tastes freaking awesome and has fermented for 3 1/2 weeks at 64 degrees.
The ABV should be 7.2 and I got 6.3 and that’s fine with me but since I’ve never used Denny’s 1450 I’m not sure what I should expect. I would guess based on the OG, it should have gotten to 1.016-1.018.
Well, it’s in the keg now so it is what ii is and I can’t wait for the next 3 weeks to taste this puppy.

[quote=“Beer-lord”]I kegged this tonite after 3 days of the same FG…1.024. Much higher than I thought though I don’t know what it’s supposed to be. It tastes freaking awesome and has fermented for 3 1/2 weeks at 64 degrees.
The ABV should be 7.2 and I got 6.3 and that’s fine with me but since I’ve never used Denny’s 1450 I’m not sure what I should expect. I would guess based on the OG, it should have gotten to 1.016-1.018.
Well, it’s in the keg now so it is what ii is and I can’t wait for the next 3 weeks to taste this puppy.[/quote]
I have not been satisfied with that yeast either of the times that I have used it. Never fermented out as far as it should have. I have heard that It rocks the second time around though I just dont want to buy it anymore to find out. Sorry Denny

Lots of folks say they’ve seen it stall at 1.020. I’m washing it and will try it again in some IPA’s I’m doing soon. I hope it doesn’t affect the taste too much.

Anyone taste this yet and care to review it? I still don’t see any reviews on the NB website.
Mine’s been in the keg conditioning for 2 weeks while waiting for room in my kegerator. It’ll likely be 2 more weeks before I will be able to taste it but since I’ve never had the real thing, I’d love to hear what others have to say so I can know what to expect. I did the all grain but I’m interested in comments from both recipes.

Bump.
Still no reviews on the website on Oasis. I finally had an open slot in my kegerator after almost 30 days of sitting and conditioning. This thing has got to be ready so hopefully by game time on Sunday, I’ll finally get to taste this.
I’m still trying to find someone to send some to me so I can taste the real thing. I’m pretty sure my high FG won’t affect the taste but I’m really looking forward to it.

I had to wait 4 weeks for space in my kegerator (guess I don’t drink enough) and although it’s only been on gas for 4 days, I had to try some. I really like this even though mine didn’t attenuate as much as it should and the ABV is not as high, this one is very enjoyable.
I think the only thing I personally would like is more dry hopping but I’ve not had the real thing so I don’t know how it compares.
This is an expensive beer to make but one I will do again.