Taking a sample without a beer thief

I was told I could use my auto syphon to get a sample for testing with hydrometer if I don’t have a beer thief(which I don’t). Does anyone know an easy way to do this?

Just start a siphon as you normally would and lift the auto siphon out of the beer once you get enough for the sample. That’s assuming your beer is in a carboy, if it’s in a bucket just sanitize a clean ladle or cup or anything else and collect the sample that way.

Put autosiphon in beer, pull up on the piston until you have what you want in the barrel of the autosiphon, remove keeping it upright, then you can pump it on out or shake the thing in a pitcher to get the sample out the bottom of the tube. Shaking releases the backflow stop in the bottom of the barrel of the siphon.

Sanitized turkey baster. Boom

You can just dip the autosiphon in the beer with the cane removed and pull your sample out. It leaks out of the bottom a little. Just have a cup ready to place under it when you remove it and then let it drain out. Short video attached.
View My Video

^This is what I do. I don’t just sanitize it, though. I isolate it to strictly beer.

^This is what I do. I don’t just sanitize it, though. I isolate it to strictly beer.[/quote]

even if it’s only used for beer, it should still be sanitized. old beer residue can grow bacteria

^This is what I do. I don’t just sanitize it, though. I isolate it to strictly beer.[/quote]

even if it’s only used for beer, it should still be sanitized. old beer residue can grow bacteria[/quote]

[quote=“Hoppenheimer”]

woops, my bad. didnt catch that part :cheers:

sometimes my brain skips words :oops:

Same here.