Taking a poll

Is “home brew” a derogatory term

Nope. Unless you’re referring to my finely crafted libations as such. :mrgreen:

Just kidding. :cheers: I think it depends on the venue, but in general, I’d say, no.

That said, I don’t generally refer to my beer (or anyone else’s handcrafted beer)as “homebrew”, I call it what it is: beer. I wouldn’t get offended at anyone calling my beer “homebrew”, though, unless it was in the context of something like, “this isn’t beer, it’s just homebrew”, or something like that. Then I might get a little peeved… So, I guess in the end, it has more to do with the intent of the use than the mere use of the word.

I have brewed beers that I have thought were like this. I don’t see it as an offensive thing, but I certainly want to get to the point where the end product is indistinguishable from beer off the shelf.

I have brewed beers that I have thought were like this. I don’t see it as an offensive thing, but I certainly want to get to the point where the end product is indistinguishable from beer off the shelf.[/quote]
N

I brew because I’m trying to make something better than what’s on the shelf.

I have brewed beers that I have thought were like this. I don’t see it as an offensive thing, but I certainly want to get to the point where the end product is indistinguishable from beer off the shelf.[/quote]
N

I brew because I’m trying to make something better than what’s on the shelf.[/quote]

Yep, me too. I guess my whole point is, if someone uses the term in a snarky way, then it’s obviously meant to be demeaning. Otherwise, too many folks are just used to calling any beer that isn’t made for resale “homebrew” for me to automatically take offense with the word. My folks (and most of their peers in their neighborhood) would refer to my concoctions as “homebrew” just because that’s what they are used to calling it. And, they’re used to calling it that because that’s what their parents called it.

I guess I lost emotions for the term long ago. It’s what we do. We know what we do. If someone is doing a put down, their just being an a$$ and you can tell, because it’s obvious they don’t do it. I’m just neutral I guess, never thought one way or the other. Maybe you guys should just have one, and let go of the day. I am. Cheers…Oh by the way SS-427 I have an SS-454[ 468] and nothing to put it in.

I’ve always liked the term. Where I’m from “home” anything is associated with that little something special you can’t get anywhere else. Be it home brew, home grown, home made or whatever. I associate it with creativity and self sufficiency. The end results may not always be what we hoped for, but we are responsible for and are proud of what we accomplished. At least most of the time…

^ 100%

I have a friend whom I source with my beer on a regular basis. She has told me that she cannot drink commercial beers any more. She holds out for mine. So call it what you desire, and think about it how you want, but homebrew is great beer if you make it great. The tomatoes I grow in my own garden are far better than any tomato I can buy at the store. The brownies my wife bakes in our home oven are far better than any brownie I can buy at the supermarket. And If I say “Hey babe, can you throw some extra chocolate chunks in those brownies” she does. So is the term “Homebrew” derogatory? Only if you want it to be. Really no word is derogatory unless it’s used in a derogatory manner. And very often people who use a term in a derogatory manner are ignorant.

I make homebrew. I love to make it. I love to drink it. Anyone who defines my homebrew as inferior comes off of my list of people to whom I will provide my homebrew. Simple as that. Just like if I have a party at my house and a person who I invite tells me that my party was not that good, that person will no longer be invited to my parties.

Never really gave it that much thought.

There may be negative connotation for some people…you know them…when they find out you brew they smirk and say…yea grampy/uncle/cousin/whoever used to brew beer all i remember is it was cloudy and tasted weird and the bottles were always exploding…

then they taste ours and their face lights up and they say…you really brewed this?

I met a couple from Cali recently who called themselves craft brewers for this very reason.

I get where this came from and I understand the intention behind Pietro’s remark in the other thread.

For me the bottom line is, I’ve never cared much what anyone thinks about me or any of my pursuits. Just roll with it.

I’m a homebrewer. I do it for myself and anyone else who cares to enjoy it with me.

Cheers brothers! :cheers:

I would say that my first attempts at brewing with Mr. Beer would deserve the negative connotation being described in this poll as it was pretty awful. :lol: I decided to keep at it and learn as much as possible and work towards making the best beer that I can and I continue to work in that direction. I think part of the joy of homebrewing is showing people how good it can be and “You brewed this!? I’d buy that at a bar!” is one of the best compliments I can receive from someone trying one of my brews for the first time.

Around me the “homebrew” connotation I would not say would be perceived as negative but most people I hang around with are all very much into craft beer and are always happy to give me constructive feedback. If anyone does have a negative connotation of “homebrew” (and yes I have definitely run into people that do) part of the fun of homebrewing is being an ambassador for good beer and changing their perception of what homebrew can be: good to great beer that I brewed in my garage.

:cheers:
Rad

You’re asking the wrong people.

You don’t have to, you have a gun pointed at anyone who reads your posts.

How about home crafted beer? :wink: Just kidding. I don’t really care either way. I call my beer homebrew but don’t often say “I’m a hombrewer”. I usually just say that I brew my own beer. Since I make mostly German styles, I have quite the challenge to make it better than them. I think what I make is as good only because it’s fresher. But I’m not convinced it’s entirely replicable.

I don’t think this is true at all. I think he’s asking the right people. The general public doesn’t care. They’ll probably tell you that it is a derogatory term and give you some story about how their dad used to make beer and it was awful.

Don’t really care if it is or not. The more people I give my “home brew” to the more times I hear that’s damn good beer!

You don’t have to, you have a gun pointed at anyone who reads your posts.[/quote]

It’s just a scene from one of my favorite shows when I was younger, it’s not me :mrgreen:

If I wanted, I could use the the term “Craft Beer” in a snarky and derogatory tone as well.

You don’t have to, you have a gun pointed at anyone who reads your posts.[/quote]

It’s just a scene from one of my favorite shows when I was younger, it’s not me :mrgreen: [/quote]
Well, that’s relieving…

I’m sure there are many who already do. There are different levels of Craft Beer nerd, that’s for sure. I know people who drink nothing but sours and barrel aged beers. That’s beyond me. They have no appreciation, or very little, for classic styles.

I’d upset if someone told me my beer had that “homebrew flavor”. That’s what has started the whole thing. Some people had one single bad or negative experience, thus they think all homebrew is that way.

I hope the peeps that hand out that comment in a degrading way aren’t banging on a c*@rs light, er a mi(^er light. I like to tell them thats as far away from real beer as you can possibly get! Beer can be whatever the drinker thinks of it, I do enjoy mine as HOME BREWED…. Sneezles61 :cheers:

My thoughts exactly.

But not everyone thinks that way. I have friends from the developing world that can’t get over the perception they grew up with that the only reason you would do anything “home-made” is because you can’t afford to buy modern, high quality stuff.

Which is funny, because the most common reaction I get from Finns (who are NOT from the developing world) when I tell them I make my own beer is something to the effect “yeah, I tired that in university, but I stopped when I could afford to buy real beer”. You should see the eyes light up when they taste it and ask “you made that?”.