Sweetening

I have two batches that I’ll need to sweeten. They will work out to about 2.5 gallons each. I used 8lb fruit and 8lb sugar hoping that some sweetness would be left, but they still fermented dry.

What would you sweeten strawberry with? Blueberry?
I don’t know if table sugar would kill off any remaining fruit flavor…

Well I added 3/4 c sugar/gal which seemed to taste right, sweet-wise, but I don’t get the fruity taste. Perhaps next time I’ll try finding concentrates. Could be over time those flavors will pop some…

Has anyone experimented with making their own fruit extracts or concentrates? Curious to hear about your process and experience…

What is your final alcohol volume looking like? How are you ensuring that the added sugar does not ferment, just alcohol volume?

One of the easiest ways to backsweeten wine for future reference would be to use wine conditioner. Since it is full of sorbate it can sweeten wine at any point without refermenting.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]What is your final alcohol volume looking like? How are you ensuring that the added sugar does not ferment, just alcohol volume?

One of the easiest ways to backsweeten wine for future reference would be to use wine conditioner. Since it is full of sorbate it can sweeten wine at any point without refermenting.[/quote]

Hard to estimate the ABV because I added in stages, and wasn’t sure how to calculate it. Would OG (with 4lb sugar), then the difference in gravity from prior to adding another 4lb sugar and after adding sugar added to OG be valid?

When done fermenting, used potassium sorbate before sweetening.

Will try out conditioner soon…

OK, the sorbate you added should be fine to stop fermentation, so the info about alcohol content is irrelevant. I know of a few people who have added sweetener and nothing to stop it from fermenting so that was my main concern.

I believe the sugar used in wine contioner is saccharose? Anyway it tends to do a pretty good job adding sweetness and a little texture, but staying pretty neutral as far as flavors go.

Stabilize and backsweeten with sugar to balance acidity. If your recipe is sound and you used only high quality fruit you should not need concentrates.