Sweet wine

I should have asked this earlier, but where did you get your apple juice from? Do you know if it had preservatives in it? Some juice companies are now adding reduced amounts of preservatives to juice, and if that is the case, a healthy dose of yeast will ferment sluggishly and possibly stall like you saw.

Still just wondering why the yeast quit.

Hi rebuiltcellars, the wine I’m trying to make is classed as a country wine, and is made just from apples as I wanted it to be as original as possible so no added juice of any sort, incidentally I tried adding some of my re-starter bottle to two liters of wine to restart fermentation with negative results, (a bit downhearted now!) But I’ve decided to do as ‘capnkirk’ suggested earlier, which is just bottle it, and forget it for a few years, I’ll put it down to experience.
I thought by starting the SG at 1.9 the wine would be around 14% alcohol, perhaps my next attempt I should try at around 1.7 and go for a slightly weaker wine.
I’m looking forward to trying some more, but first need to buy a few more demijohns.

Hi Jonny, when I said “juice” I meant apple juice. If you started with apples that have not been pressed to release the juice, then you’ll have to explain to me what you did.

Hi Jonny, when I said “juice” I meant apple juice. If you started with apples that have not been pressed to release the juice, then you’ll have to explain to me what yo.did [/quote]

Yes ,I gathered fallen apples from an orchard, washed and cut them up into quarters boiled very lightly just for 3mins let them cool then added sugar pectin enzyme 2 lemons and yeast, all seemed to go well until it stopped fermenting and I checked the SP gravity