Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Surly Coffee Bender

I’m surprised I haven’t found a thread on this yet (cue guy who can find the thread) but I brewed a batch of Northern’s Bender last weekend (all-grain) and plan on adding Guatemala Finca Vista Hermosa Peaberry coffee to make a Coffee Bender.

I also threw the idea out to one of the guys at Northern Brewer’s store that they should make the coffee aspect of this beer an option.

Anyone ever take a stab at this? I’m looking for pointers on what temp to keep the beer at once it gets the coffee.

Cheers,

I did 10 gallons of NB’s Bender, drank 1 keg as it was but poured a bunch of 8 oz beers and added various amounts of cold brewed coffee until I found the mix beer:coffee ratio I liked. Ended up being 20 oz cold brewed coffee for the 2nd keg to make a coffee bender. To cold brew the coffee I followed Cook’s Illustrated tips; mixed equal volumes water and coffee grounds in a french press, let it sit at room temp for 24 hours and that was it (though I did also pour the coffee through a coffee filter to remove the fine coffee grinds the french press screen misses).

I didn’t have any real Coffee Bender to taste it against but everyone that has had like it. It doesn’t wallop you with coffee flavor but it blends well with the beer.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com