Super Picks

What team are ya going with? And, more importantly…what BREW will you be going with??? For me it’ll be the Broncos and I will be drinking a mix of the Irish Red (that I brewed) and Caribou Slobber ( brewed by a buddy of mine) among others. :cheers:

I figure that I will be going for the Bronc’s as well and pouring a Dead Ringer IPA.

I have ties to both cities, but being near Seattle now I gotta keep it local! I’ll probably be blowing the keg on my house IPA, and tapping a 15-min Cascade.

Pardon my ignorange, but is a 15-minute Cascade a beer with a 15 minute boil and single 15 minute cascade addition? If so, how is it? I would figure it would have next to no bitterness?

We will be rooting for our home team the Broncos. My son wants me to bring my Saison, I have to settle for my Alt since my Root Canal Red Rye isn’t finished. Cheers!

Pardon my ignorange, but is a 15-minute Cascade a beer with a 15 minute boil and single 15 minute cascade addition? If so, how is it? I would figure it would have next to no bitterness?[/quote]

It can mean a few things, but for me at least it’s a hop-bursted pale ale. It’s one of my favorites, and one of three recipes that I try to keep consistently on tap. This particular one has the following additions;

15min 3oz
5min 1oz
flameout 1oz

I’d have to look it up to be sure but I believe it’s about 40IBU, so maybe just slightly on the bitter side of balanced. Standard 60-minute boil. I suppose if you did an extract version you would only need a 15 minute boil though.

I don’t have a horse in the race, but like both teams. I’d like to see Payton get another SB, but am also a fan of Seattle’s tough ass defense and beast mode is just fun to watch. His running style is flat out punishing on defenses. I’m expecting a good game, but think the Bronco’s will have a little too much firepower. Of course, this all depends on the weather. If there are high winds, I’d lean towards Seattle.

I’ll be serving an Oak Aged Belgian IPA and a Weizenbock from my kegerator with brand new 525 Perlick Taps which I’ll be installing on Saturday. I also have a few bottles from Bruery (Mash, Mash & Grind, 4 Calling Birds), a bottle of Firestone Walker 17th Anniversary, and a Dogfish Head World Wide Stout all chilling in my fridge. As you can see, I’m a fan of barrel aged beers :smiley:

[quote]
It can mean a few things, but for me at least it’s a hop-bursted pale ale. It’s one of my favorites, and one of three recipes that I try to keep consistently on tap. This particular one has the following additions;

15min 3oz
5min 1oz
flameout 1oz

I’d have to look it up to be sure but I believe it’s about 40IBU, so maybe just slightly on the bitter side of balanced. Standard 60-minute boil. I suppose if you did an extract version you would only need a 15 minute boil though.[/quote]

If you have the chance, can you please post the full recipe at some point? It sounds like something I would like to try out.

[quote=“brewingguild”][quote]

15min 3oz
5min 1oz
flameout 1oz

I’d have to look it up to be sure but I believe it’s about 40IBU, so maybe just slightly on the bitter side of balanced. Standard 60-minute boil. I suppose if you did an extract version you would only need a 15 minute boil though.[/quote]

If you have the chance, can you please post the full recipe at some point? It sounds like something I would like to try out.[/quote]

No problem. It’s a simple recipe, but that’s why I like it:

9lbs 2-row
1lb Crystal 60

3oz Cascade 15min
1oz Cascade 5 min
1oz Cascade flameout

US-05

Thanks, I really appreciate it and am going to give it a shot.

Hey dobe! If I flew to Jersey could I watch the game at your house?

Sure no problem… as long as you bring some of that legal stuff from Colorado!

I’ve been a Seahawks fan since I was a little kid. I’ve suffered through many, many bad teams and losing seasons. Needless to say, this is a very exciting time for me…even more exciting I think than the last time the Hawks made it to the Super Bowl because I think this team is much better overall and has a better chance to be good for several years. Of course, their opponent this time is better overall too. Obviously, it’s Seahawks all the way for me but I suspect it’ll be close.

As for beer, I’ve got a wide range of options since I tend to only buy the build your own six packs from the local liquor stores. Right now in my fridge I’ve got a honey porter and a holiday red that I brewed, a brown ale brewed with spruce tips from the local microbrewery (Crow Peak Brewing), some Green Flash Hop Head Red, some Bigfoot Ale, Narwahl and Celebration from Sierra Nevada, and I think maybe a Ranger IPA.

The Lions are my team so I was hoping for them early on, then the Eagles, then the 49ers… Now i’m stuck with the Seahawks.

I was born in Seattle, although I was never a hawks fan. The fun part about living in Oregon most my life is I got to choose my team. The lions were always my favorite because I liked Barry Sanders when I was young.

I got myself a 22oz of Union Jack, and a can of Fearless’s red ale for the occasion.

[quote=“S.Scoggin”]The Lions are my team so I was hoping for them early on, then the Eagles, then the 49ers… Now i’m stuck with the Seahawks.

I was born in Seattle, although I was never a hawks fan. The fun part about living in Oregon most my life is I got to choose my team. The lions were always my favorite because I liked Barry Sanders when I was young.

I got myself a 22oz of Union Jack, and a can of Fearless’s red ale for the occasion.[/quote]

I just love watching Barry Sanders highlights. It’s a damn shame he had to play on such bad teams and never got a shot at a championship… or a playoff game for that matter. Dude could have, would have, should have broken a lot of records if his career panned out differently.

PS… GO BIRDS!!!

As bad as the Lions have been post Barry Sanders they weren’t all that bad when he was there, actually made the playoffs several times with him, not a lot of success in the playoffs though that’s for sure. That said I agree it would have been great to see him play for a top team and really compete for a super bowl. Sadly Adrian Peterson is sharing a similar career path to this point.

As for this year I’m pulling for Seattle, got an Oatmeal Stout, Double IPA(HT clone) an ESB and NB’s Brickwamer Red on tap for the game, hope it’s a good one!

Packers all the way!!! …oh wait…

So since I don’t care who wins I’m going to say Broncos so Payton can retire on top. Pre-game I’ll probably work my way across my taps of honey weiss, fest bock, and pale ale and will maybe throw in a bottle of bourbon barrel belgian quad after the half to round out the evening.

[quote=“grizzly”]I’ve been a Seahawks fan since I was a little kid. I’ve suffered through many, many bad teams and losing seasons. Needless to say, this is a very exciting time for me…even more exciting I think than the last time the Hawks made it to the Super Bowl because I think this team is much better overall and has a better chance to be good for several years. Of course, their opponent this time is better overall too. Obviously, it’s Seahawks all the way for me but I suspect it’ll be close.
[/quote]

Let’s hope the refs are better this go around also. :x

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“grizzly”]I’ve been a Seahawks fan since I was a little kid. I’ve suffered through many, many bad teams and losing seasons. Needless to say, this is a very exciting time for me…even more exciting I think than the last time the Hawks made it to the Super Bowl because I think this team is much better overall and has a better chance to be good for several years. Of course, their opponent this time is better overall too. Obviously, it’s Seahawks all the way for me but I suspect it’ll be close.
[/quote]

Let’s hope the refs are better this go around also. :x [/quote]

I hate blaming the refs for a loss, but there were a few calls in XL that were pretty damn bad. The thing is, the refs will play a key this year too. Everyone knows the Seahawks secondary likes to be physical. Just how physical the refs let them be will play a part in the outcome of the game. And if the Hawks win, I’m sure I’ll hear about all the missed holding/pass interference calls from the multitude of Broncos fans I work with.

My parents are from Detroit and I was born there, but I was raised mostly in Philadelphia. My first team is the Eagles, but I also follow and support the Lions. Without a team of their own, Portlanders split fairly evenly between the Niners and the Seahawks, the two closest teams. I don’t feel strongly about either but have many friends who are rabid supporters of one team or the other. I’ll cheer for the Seahawks on Sunday because many Seattle fans have had only one champion their whole lives, the Sikma and Dennis Johnson Sonics back in the 80s. As a Philly sports fan I can feel their pain. I also give the Seahawks the edge on the field, although I think it will be a tight game. The Seahawks D is just sick and I don’t trust Manning in big games.

I’ll be brewing on Sunday as well, a couple of Conn classics, Rye IPA and BVIP.