Super Noob Questions Round Two

Ok I have brewed three times.

1. 90 minutes IPA-came out ok
  2. Northern Brewer IPA
  3. Fat Tire-in process

On the second beer I brewed when i dry hopped and fermented I left the little stand up piece out of the airlock. I think this flattened the beer. When i went to bottle it it seemed very flat like water and when bottled has no carbonation after two weeks.

Question is can I 1. pour it all back into a carboy and add more priming sugar or 2. give it to a buddy and have him keg it and try that. The beer tastes good its just flat.

Also, I have been using extract. If I used all grain would I get less of that carmalized taste in the beer. It seems to be there in all of the extract kits.

Let me know!!! Thanks!

Super Noob

When you bottled the beer, did you add priming solution (sugar) to carbonate it? The beer doesn’t carbonate in the fermentor. It carbonates in the bottles by adding extra sugar. Forgetting to install a part of the airlock would not have any effect on the carbonation of the final beer.

Yes, extract beers can finish with a higher final gravity and a little sweet. Going to all grain or even just partial mashing can give you greater control on over your final product including gravity, sweetness, body, color, etc…

I added the priming sugar. I think I may have done it wrong. I added the sugar to the water and boiled it.

The first one I did i let the priming solution cool and the second one I took hot from boiling straight into the bottling bucket because the recipe didnt specify that i had to let it cool before I mixed it with the beer.

Is there a better way?

Also I am going to try and keg the beer that is flat and also try and experiment with re-priming the bottles. Does anyone know if that will work?

Thanks!

SN

I don’t see where you could have gone wrong. Adding cool beer to the small quantity of hot priming solution will cool things down quickly. At the most you may have killed the yeasties in the 1st quart, but would have plenty in the rest to carbonate.
So, best guess is that you either stored the beer at too low of a temp for carbonation, or have just not given it enough time.
My last batch was an Oktoberfest that I lagered at 30-35 for a month before bottling. So I figured there probably wasn’t much active yeast left in solution. I was going to add a little ale yeast to my bottling bucket, but forgot. Plus it has been 50-55* in my basement where I store my bottles. She carbonated, although it took more like 3.5 weeks.
I would wait some more. But if you want to have your buddy keg it, that’s OK too. However, if you open the bottles and pour them into anything(ie. bottling bucket or even keg), you run the risk of oxygenating the beer.

Where are those bottles? Bring them upstairs or out of the closet or where ever they are and get them to 65-70* area for bottle conditioning. The yeast doesn’t work if it’s too cold so your bottles won’t carb. This is the most common problem I had back in the day.

I did pour a uncarbonated beer into a keg. It was a barley wine that didn’t carbonate after 6 weeks in the bottle. If you do this, pour it gently to avoid oxygenating it.

Like mentioned store them in a warmer room. Give the bottles a shake each day to keep things mixed up. 2 weeks is a bit early.

For future batches, try to stir the bottling bucket after every 12pk to keep the sugar mixed up. Also fill 1 soda bottle. Squeeze the O2 out and screw the cap on. When CO2 is formed the bottle will expand.

I have the bottles in a steady 68 degree envoirnment. Inside my house. Out of my wives way :slight_smile:

I will shake them a little. Thats a good idea. I did stir the mixture as i was bottling. It wierd i have an incredible head on the first beer and nada on the second.

I will keep waiting on it.

Thanks!

I have the bottles in a steady 68 degree envoirnment. Inside my house. Out of my wives way :slight_smile:

I will shake them a little. Thats a good idea. I did stir the mixture as i was bottling. It wierd i have an incredible head on the first beer and nada on the second.

The soda bottle is cool too.

Thanks!

The soda bottle is cool too.

Thanks!