Super deal on large brew kettles

Fantastic deal for someone that’s been looking for a SS kettle. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/pages/st … -of-a-deal

shipping is where they F you in your B hole

$13.00 isn’t really buttholed. I think that is pretty damn decent.

$13.00 isn’t really buttholed. I think that is pretty damn decent.[/quote]

I kind of agree with muddy.

For the 10 gal pot, shipped to ohio, it was just $9.90 for shipping. not really that bad. ~$68 total all in for a 10 gal SS pot. I am so so so tempted…

I just bought 2 of the 8 gallon ones to use as fermenters, I’ve got some buckets that need replaced, for $28 more I’m getting SS instead of plastic.

I have bought tons of stuff from them they have five dollar MI shipping. They’re a pretty awesome store so I can’t see them rapping anyone on shipping.

Interesting. Do you just use the normal lid or are you going to try something else?

Thanks for the heads up, picked up a 10gal. I’ve been working with an 8gal and its always a pain to do a full boil on an all-grain batch.

does anyone know if this brew kettle is cheaply made. the reason I am asking is that I would be worried about scorching the wort. does anyone have any ideas on this. because I am in the market to get a 10 gal. kettle to do full extract boil. the price is great if it’s not to thin. my 5 gal. kettle has the tri ply bottom.

I’m sure it is fairly cheap, doubt it has a triple layer bottom. That said, I’ve used cheaper pots and they don’t typically scorch.

I agree. As long as there’s no undissolved extract/sugar, scorching shouldn’t be a problem.

Interesting. Do you just use the normal lid or are you going to try something else?[/quote]I’ll probably get some large O-rings for the lids from McMaster-Carr next time I place an order there and rig some sort of clamping setup using the handles. In the meantime I’ll just use the lids as they are, kind of an open fermentation.

[quote=“Glug Master”]In the meantime I’ll just use the lids as they are, kind of an open fermentation.[/quote]For a cheap and easy seal on a stainless kettle, make a 1-2" wide strip of aluminum foil the same length as the circumference of the kettle and loosely roll it like a cigar and place on top of the kettle rim, then the lid, and use two C-clamps to pull the lid down tight and crimp the foil.

Wow, I just got my kettles less than 24 hours after ordering them! I think everyone who order one is going to be really happy, these are heavy duty clad bottom pots. I would say they’re the Tall Boy kettles NB was carrying as it looks like they’ve buffed out the etching on the top that the Tall Boys had. I can’t see any blemishes on mine, at least on the insides, where it’s going to matter for my purposes.

[quote=“Shadetree”]For a cheap and easy seal on a stainless kettle, make a 1-2" wide strip of aluminum foil the same length as the circumference of the kettle and loosely roll it like a cigar and place on top of the kettle rim[/quote]Thanks for the tip, that ought to work well as the lid sits ~ 3/4" deep.

I had just about talked myself into the 10 gal one and they are all now sold out. no big surprise.

Yeah they are all sold out now. Sorry about the 5$ MI shipping thing I mixed up this place with adventures in home brewing. Well to anyone that got one cheers!

I have made homemade seals for a kettle out of cardboard wrapped with teflon tape. Learned this trick from the homedistiller.org forum.

[quote=“Glug Master”]Wow, I just got my kettles less than 24 hours after ordering them! I think everyone who order one is going to be really happy, these are heavy duty clad bottom pots. I would say they’re the Tall Boy kettles NB was carrying as it looks like they’ve buffed out the etching on the top that the Tall Boys had. I can’t see any blemishes on mine, at least on the insides, where it’s going to matter for my purposes.
[/quote]

Nice. A club member of mine purchased one and it was actually cracked, which will obviously make it wholly unsuitable as it won’t hold liquid.

The photo did kind of look like it had a clad bottom but I wans’t holding my breath. And the shape is like the Tall Boy, I like the taller skinnier profile for a boil.

If it comes in cracked I will be kind of dissapointed! Thats like buying a broken drumstick, a deal you can’t beat.

My 10gal arrived Friday. A few minor dings around the top lip, and the lid doesn’t sit just right although I can probably fix that. Bottom is clad and the kettle is excellent quality. I have to drill holes for the thermo and valve then I’ll take it for a spin.

I’m happy I saw this post!