Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Summit Hops

Anyone used them? Description from my retailer says they are very similar to Simcoe. And at 40% of the price, they seem to warrant some consideration to supplement CTZ and Centennial in my hoppy beers.

Ive used a pound them, i got alot of orange out of them. Just as a disclaimer i never pick up on onion / garlic in any beer and summit is known for being heavy on thoses. I would definitely buy another pound once i clean my freezer out.

I’ve recently learned that the onion/garlic thing is tied to being harvested too late. I’ve never gotten it from Summit, although I know others have. I just get a wonderful orange/tangerine aroma from them.

Favorite IPA hop. Useful for bittering through dry hop. The allium note is there sometimes, which I actually don’t mind. I think it lends a nice dankness and it usually fades pretty quickly. Otherwise, the aroma is dead on for tangerine.

I’ve recently learned that the onion/garlic thing is tied to being harvested too late. I’ve never gotten it from Summit, although I know others have. I just get a wonderful orange/tangerine aroma from them.[/quote]

Good to know, I’ve been using summit in smaller amounts to avoid the onion.
Summit, simcoe, and saphir make a great amber ale.

I’ve gotten the onion smell when airlock sniffing, but it faded into tangerine in the finished beer.

Yeah, I think this is a good thing for IPAs in small-medium doses, as long as it doesn’t overpower the citrus. My IPA on tap right now is ALL citrus/stone fruit, and while it is good, I would like some dank. Now Stone, IMO, overdoes it on the allium. The first Enjoy By I had, while a well-crafted beer, reminded me of bongwater with infused with raw garlic.

Yeah, I think this is a good thing for IPAs in small-medium doses, as long as it doesn’t overpower the citrus. My IPA on tap right now is ALL citrus/stone fruit, and while it is good, I would like some dank. Now Stone, IMO, overdoes it on the allium. The first Enjoy By I had, while a well-crafted beer, reminded me of bongwater with infused with raw garlic.[/quote]

Green Flash’s Imperial IPA (comes in bombers) is, IMO, the best example of Summitt’s danker qualities. It’s all Summitt and Nuggett and together they give a very dense, heavy aroma.

In Steele’s IPA he mentions using Summit earlier in the boil to minimize off flavors. Anxious to try Summit this way now that I am a believer in boil additions contributing to flavor.

so, not a good one to add late then?

I used it late before and got more allium, but dang it, no bongwater. I am gonna start experimenting with boil hops and will post results. Last IPA definitely was an improvement. The hop blend had chinook and I got more character adding some for the boil.

Yeah, I think this is a good thing for IPAs in small-medium doses, as long as it doesn’t overpower the citrus. My IPA on tap right now is ALL citrus/stone fruit, and while it is good, I would like some dank. Now Stone, IMO, overdoes it on the allium. The first Enjoy By I had, while a well-crafted beer, reminded me of bongwater with infused with raw garlic.[/quote]

What do you consider a small-medium dose? 1 oz. per gallon? 1/2? 1/4?

[quote=“Rookie L A”]

What do you consider a small-medium dose? 1 oz. per gallon? 1/2? 1/4?[/quote]

Depends when you add them in the boil. I may try blending flameout/whirlpool hops, as say, 1.5-2oz flameout and whirlpool of each: Chinook/CTZ, Citrusy Hop 1, Citrusy Hop 2 (such as Amarillo and Centennial).

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com