Summer Lagers

Woooo, slow on here today.
I’ll toss this out here as its been tying me in knots. Trying to decide what the best CLEAN lager yeast would be for a German Pilsener. But emphasis on clean; no diacetyl, no green apple, crystal clear.

Went back to Wyeast 2308 for an Oktoberfest and a Vienna Lager, which I had used with success in the past but this time, for whatever reason, the early sampling I’ve done indicates both are a bit flawed and will benefit from prolonged lagering.

Doing a lot of reading and considering Wyeast 2206, 2124, 2278, Saflager 34/70, even Wyeast 2007, the Budweiser strain which purportedly is extremely unlikely to throw off diacetyl.
Anybody use 2007? I’m looking for a crystal clear summer easy drinker.

I should clarify that neither lager mentioned actually were butter bombs, just cloudy and not as sharp as I felt they should be at their respective dates.

IMHO the best all around lager yeast around is WY2206 Bavarian Lager yeast.

I prefer, WY2001 Urquell yeast for my pilsner whenever I can get it or keep it on hand. Lost my slurry 2 years ago in a freezing incident… Snagged a smack pack in it’s limited release early this year. I’ve brewed 25 gallons of bohemian and pre pro pilsner with it since and will do another 10 each of bohemian followed by a helles in the next couple weeks.

I also really enjoyed pilsners fermented with WY2206 bavarian lager yeast. It’s a consistent 75% attenuator in most heavier grain bills but 80% in my pils. A somewhat slow work horse that if well oxygenated starts up fast consistently produces very clean malt focused lagers. In the pilsner that means the grainy bready pilsen malt flavor I love. In the past I’ve made big sometimes multi step starters to get the best results but recently I’ve been making 1 or 2L starters depending on slurry cell count and pitching at high K to eleven gallons of well aerated low 50F wort. My preference is to pump wort onto half cake of recently finished slurry when I can time it right. 2206 fires right up and chugs away.

So yea, 2206 is pretty much my house lager strain. I’ve used it for everything from the low 4 abv pilsners to doppelbocks and always loved the result. It’s hard to say if I like my Ofest better with 2206 or WY2633 oktoberfest lager yeast.

2 Likes

That sounds like what I was looking for. I’m going to hit the LHBS tomorrow as 2 kegs kicked in the past 48 hours and the 2 lagers, as mentioned, are going to need significant time rounding off…

I also find wy2206 is a good choice

1 Like

I’m waiting for the Oslo strain to be released again for my summer lagering.

1 Like

By far my fav lager strain is wlp940 Mexican lager. I’ve used it for multiple styles with success. I’ve also found it to be robust with great attenuation and FABULOUS flocculation.

1 Like

i eventually plan to do another Vienna, this time with adjuncts and a more Mexican/new world feel… if I can find WLP940 down here, that would be great. LHBS is Wyeast only and it’s too hot for shipping yeast until November here.
I’ll have to see if one of the shops in the larger cities carries White Labs…

I’ve not done any summer lagers… So with an open eye, I’ll follow this thread… I’m trying to “achieve” a good solid blonde ale grain bill, which now seems like I could ferment one ale and one lager? Good thread Voodoo! Sneezles61

1 Like

If you have trouble with lager yeast temps 45-50 I just made one of my lagers with German Alt yeast that came out just as clean as the lager yeast version and it ferments 55-65

1 Like

I could just set my fermenter out on my lanai here at home and let it rip. Lol. I wouldn’t even have to heat it. Only a bit concerned it might get too cool at night, although not later in the Summer. About 73-78* at night here now. Are wide daily swings in temp eg 73-> 92 ish degrees problematic ??

Im a big fan of Wy2206 and Wlp 940 both are great yeast, but my favorite is Wlp 860 Munich Helles. Compared to Wlp 940 average attenuation is 70% - 78% and Wlp 860 average attenuation 68% - 72% leaving you just enough malt sweetness and well rounded lager.

1 Like

But your fermenter would be more of an average in that range. I think that temperature range sounds very scandinavian summer … so I bet it would be fine

1 Like

A healthy legion of Wyeast 2206 ready to make me some German Pilsener. The James Bond/ SNSYS makes some kicka$$ yeast. Smells great.

3 Likes

I agree… The stir plates should be on their way back to the laboratory! Sneezles61

2 Likes