Suggestions for caliente hops

Recently received some whole flower hops and before they degrade I want to use them since they appear to be fairly rare. Thinking finishing 5 minute

Why not do a esb with them. Sounds like they would work well with an english fruity yeast.

Not particularly fond of ESBs, but maybe if it’s my beer I’ll find a way to like it

I found flavor was slightly fruity, but mainly herbal/earthy (similar to something English like Fuggles with a little fruit). But the aroma just blew me away. I got a lot of fresh, ripe peach/plum in the aroma that is fantastic. I’m brewing a hoppy Belgian Amber tomorrow specifically to compliment the Caliente hops. I’m using Special B, some D-180 Candi Syrup and the Canadian/Belgian (Unibroue) yeast strain to accentuate the plum flavors. Flavor hops will be Centennial, with lots of Caliente for aroma and dry hops. I might sneak in some Motueka as well.

You can use Caliente throughout the boil in English styles, but I’d save them for 10 minutes or less and/or dry-hops in other styles if you have a limited quantity and want to max out that great aroma. I think Caliente will be great in an IPA in combination with hops like Motueka, Centennial/Amarillo and maybe Citra or Galaxy. If it holds up well enough with the Belgian yeast I might try it in a Saison some time.

FYI - This year’s crop is in stock at Yakima Valley Hops right now, so you can still grab more if you like it.

Outstanding news. I happen to have about 3 oz of galaxy right now too. I’ll be brewing within the week.

My partially Caliente IPA came in 2nd at our non-sanctioned comp last night for one of my clubs. I really really really like this beer. Used calientes for mash hop, 15 min, 10 min, 5, Flameout and dry hops(each addition had other hops). Also used magnums @ bittering, CTZ for FWH, Amarillo, Centennial, and some local cascades I had.

People were really blown away by the hop. I was hearing everything from tropical fruit to stone fruit/red plum. I have one friend who was almost getting a red fruit (rasp/strawberry) from them. I almost thought it was an ester at first, but this beer was fermented w/ US-05 @ 66 degrees.

Really really interesting hop that I would be interested to taste on its own. Might do some sort of SMaSH with it next…or something else.

I’m making an imperial red ipa today. Would you be able to post your entire hop regiment for your beer? It sounds like we’re using identical hops, but I wanted to see what your line-up was like.

can-do at around 6pm ET. The hopping regiment for this 1.065 IPA would definitely stand up to a beer in the 1.080 range.

1 oz (8.3%) Caliente (17.8%) - added during mash
1 oz (8.3%) Columbus (15.0%) - added first wort
.75 oz (6.2%) Magnum (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
.3 oz (2.5%) Amarillo® (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 20 m
.3 oz (2.5%) Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 m
.3 oz (2.5%) Caliente (17.8%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 m
.3 oz (2.5%) Amarillo® (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 m
.3 oz (2.5%) Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 m
.3 oz (2.5%) Caliente (17.8%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 m
.5 oz (4.1%) Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 m
.5 oz (4.1%) Caliente (17.8%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 m
.5 oz (4.1%) Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 m