Suggestions for Black IPA recipe

I want to take a crack at a partial mash Double Black IPA.
Here’s what I’ve got so far…

Yeast: Wyeast American Ale II

Hops:
60min: 2oz simcoe
45min: 1oz simcoe
20min: 1oz amarillo
15min: 1 oz amarillo
10min: 1 oz citra
0min: 1 oz citra
dry hop: 1 oz citra

grains:
.5 lbs - Weyermann Dehusked Carafa II
.5 lbs - English Chocolate Malt
4lbs -Belgian Pale Ale Malt

6lbs NB Dark Malt Syrup @60min
1lb Briess Dark DME @15min

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

I wouldn’t use Simcoe @ 60 and 45 (and would skip the 45 entirely) - use something smooth like Magnum or something with bite like Columbus or Chinook and move the Simcoe to late additions and dry-hopping to get the most out of it.

How dark will the two extracts make the beer? Do you really need both dark grains?

I’ve substituted Midnight Wheat for chocolate malts with great success.

He really should use light DME or LME for the base and steep some midnight wheat or carafa III.

My suggestion for the hops is to blend them all together and do a standard IPA hop schedule like, FWH, 20, 15, 10, 5, and flame out. That’s what I do for my black IPA and it’s mighty fine!
I blend Simcoe, Columbus, Chinook, and Cascade.

[quote=“Beersk”]My suggestion for the hops is to blend them all together and do a standard IPA hop schedule like, FWH, 20, 15, 10, 5, and flame out.[/quote]I think you meant FWH, 60, 10, 5, flameout, and dryhop… :wink:

Well, there’s that too. I don’t usually dry hop anymore, it just doesn’t seem to add that much to my beers since I do so much late hopping. But perhaps I’ll dry hop my recent black IPA that I used WY2124 at about 59F. I’m excited to see how it turns out.