Substitute for 1056?

Getting ready to brew a “Pliny the Elder” Clone on Sunday. I was getting ready to make a starter and found out I don’t have any harvested 1056. I have some US05 dry yeast and wyeast 1450.
I am also considering the 1335 used in the Surly Furious kit. Any suggestions?

Of the three, I would use US-05

Isn’t 1056 just a wet version of US-05?

I beleive there are a different strain, but so similar it would be very difficult to notice any difference in the finished product.

I knew I recalled reading this somewhere. It seems that I made the same remark as you almost a year ago and Brandon, corrected me.

[quote=“BRANDON”][quote=“gregscsu”]That is the perfect strain for a cream ale. Just ferment low around 60F-64F.

FYI: WY1056 = WLP001 = US-05[/quote]

Sorta…001 and 1056 are closer to each other than US-05. But for the most part all 3 are interchangeable.[/quote]

Definitely the US-05 for a pliny clone. You want that beer nice and dry.

Ferment at 62 or lower and you’ll have a super clean beer.

Would one pack be enough for a 1.070 OG. My packages are about a year old. MR Malty says 1.7 packs at that age. I thought dry yeast was supposed to be good for two years?

I’d pitch two.

[quote=“Roddy”]Getting ready to brew a “Pliny the Elder” Clone on Sunday. I was getting ready to make a starter and found out I don’t have any harvested 1056. I have some US05 dry yeast and wyeast 1450.
I am also considering the 1335 used in the Surly Furious kit. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Have you got a recipe you could share? Extract or all grain?

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.fmtemp.com/ProdImages/1Pliny%20the%20Elder%20clone%20PDF-1.pdf

Thanks, it appears that the grain is nothing special, all in the hops?

That’s the same as the recipe I have from an article written vinnie for zymurgy

Not really. They may have had the same source, but there are subtle differences.