Sub for Simpson Golden Oats

I am brewing the Surly Bender recipe in the next week or so and I was looking to see how I could replicate the Simpson Golden Oats that it calls for in the recipe. When I brewed this before, it must have been a partial mash with the ingredients provided because I know I never bought golden oats.

I have flaked oats but not sure how to replicate any other flavors the golden oats adds. Recipe calls for .75 lb.

– 8 lb Canada Malting Pale Ale Malt
– 2 lbs. Aromatic Malt
– 0.75 lbs. English Medium Crystal
– 0.75 lbs. Belgian Special B
– 0.75 lbs. Simpsons Golden Naked Oats
– 0.25 lbs. English Chocolate Malt

Northern Brewer has Simpsons Golden Oats.

Yea, I guess my question was…will they make that much difference? Over flaked oats and maybe a little caramel malt?

I’ve used regular Oat Malt.

Good Luck

Yea, I guess my question was…will they make that much difference? Over flaked oats and maybe a little caramel malt?[/quote]

Yeah, I was going to add a bit more to that posting but kids get in the way…
Flaked oats should be fine I would guess. I’m not really sure because I’m just brewing for the first time with the Golden Oats. All I know is that they taste awesome plain.

I love Golden Naked Oats! From my understanding, they are a lower Lovibond crystal malt made from oats. They also add the oat silkiness to the mouthfeel. I would sub in a 50:50 blend of crystal 10 and either oat malt or non-malted oats. Next time you order from NB, I recommend getting some to try. Mine go into a brownish Porter and what is becoming my house American IPA.