Stuck fermentation?

I’m brewing a rye beer with Belgian Saison (Wyeast 3724) and Brett (WLP653), and the fermentation seems to be stuck. My OG was 1.070, and I let it ferment for about a week with the saison yeast (gravity was 1.050 then). I racked it to the secondary and added the Brett yeast, and it’s been there for about 3 weeks. The gravity is currently 1.044. It’s been at room temperature the whole time. I know the saison yeast won’t fully attenuate at that temperature but figured the Brett would’ve finished it off by now. Is the Brett just really slow? Should I put it in the garage (which is 90-95 degrees) for a few days?

Removing the yeast before they finished is not a best practice. Did you happen to keep some that you can add back in?

Not sure how the Brett works. Never used it before. Not a favorite style.

Raising the temp will help. I wouldn’t go in the 90’s.

The idea was to have the Brett finish the job. Brett is supposed to have really high attenuation and is able to ferment sugars that regular yeast can’t. I’ve used it in the past but after primary fermentation was complete. I may give it a few more weeks and if the gravity doesn’t change, then I’ll either add more yeast or raise the temperature.

[quote=“ikol83”]The idea was to have the Brett finish the job.
Brett is supposed to have really high attenuation and is able to ferment sugars that regular yeast can’t.

1.070 to 1.050 with 3724 . Looks like you are asking the Brett to do the majority of the work, getting it down to the low teens or below.

I’ve used it in the past but after primary fermentation was complete.

Sounds like you had a good process with your 1st attempt. Then you deviated from it on this one.

I may give it a few more weeks and if the gravity doesn’t change, then I’ll either add more yeast or raise the temperature.

I would raise the temp now to help the 3724 that is still in suspension. No need to buy more if you don’t need to. [/quote]