Stuck Fermentation or High Final Gravity?

Hi, I have weird fermentation going on that I would appreciate some advice on.

Here is the Recipe

Pale 2 Row Malt - 5kg
Munich Malt - .45kg
Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L - .43kg
Carapils - .23kg

It is an IPA so has numerous hops in the boil and some dry hopping but I don’t think that is relevant for this issues, I can update if you think it is.

I used a Boil in the Bag technique and got 22 Litres of wort with an OG of 1048. The temp was a bit high for the BIAB about 75D to start and it dropped to 68D after 90mins when I starter the boil. I used Saflager 23 that I harvested from my last batch with a 1 litre yeast starter to kick it off.

I have been fermenting this in my fridge at about 18D. I was planning on keeping it lower about 12D but the fermentation was so slow that I thought a bit higher would help it.

After 7 days SG was at 1028 and this is where is stayed for 5 more days. I looked on forums about stuck fermentation and tried to repitch some yeast. So made 1 litre yeast starter out of another Saflager 23 dry yeast packet and pitched this.

After 7 more days it was at 1025???

I thought that it this must be the final gravity so dropped the temp to 4D and did the last dry hop.
Now after another 10 days at 4D soaking up hops the gravity has dropped to 1016??? I plan to bottle it as it is at this stage unless I shouldn’t.

My main concern is that there are still unfermented sugars in the wort and that I will create a batch of bottle bombs.

Sorry but a few thing are strange about your post. Your OG is very low for an ipa. You used a lager yeast so it’s an IPL. You used a high amount of crystal malts/ carapils for a low OG beer. What are you using for your gravity readings hydrometer or refractometer? Did you temp correct your readings?
Your mash temp was 168f? Sorry I’m not used to metric units so the kg and Celsius is hard to read for me.

[quote=“gdtechvw”]Sorry but a few thing are strange about your post. Your OG is very low for an ipa. You used a lager yeast so it’s an IPL. You used a high amount of crystal malts/ carapils for a low OG beer. What are you using for your gravity readings hydrometer or refractometer? Did you temp correct your readings?
Your mash temp was 168f? Sorry I’m not used to metric units so the kg and Celsius is hard to read for me.[/quote]

Good point on the IPL. The intended OG was higher but I am just working up my efficiency it was embarrassingly low only 53% for this brew.

I am using a refractometer. It says it has a temp compensator on it, I am using the brix reading and converting in Beersmith2. I used a hydrometer for the OG reading as well to double check

Mash temp was 75D/167F and dropped to 68D/155F over 90 min.

Use a hydrometer for your FG readings. The presence of alcohol throws off the refractometer.

Hmm, yea so the Beersmith software reckons it takes this into account with its calculations. I just checked with the hydrometer and it reckons its at 1018 so about the same.

I wonder if there is just high amount of unfermentables from the high mash temp.

Hmm, yea so the Beersmith software reckons it takes this into account with its calculations. I just checked with the hydrometer and it reckons its at 1018 so about the same.

I wonder if there is just high amount of unfermentables from the high mash temp.[/quote]

Yup you got it, lots of crystal malt and high mash temp, start your mash at 149-158 theses are min max 149 will be more fermentable and 158 will be less. For my IPA’s i do 151-153 and for my taste on an IPA I do 1/2 lb~ of crystal malt. Good luck and cheers :cheers:

Yup you got it, lots of crystal malt and high mash temp, start your mash at 149-158 theses are min max 149 will be more fermentable and 158 will be less. For my IPA’s i do 151-153 and for my taste on an IPA I do 1/2 lb~ of crystal malt. Good luck and cheers :cheers: [/quote]

Awesome, Cheers, I reckon this is it, if the gravity stabilises I will bottle it in the next 2-3 days. I didn’r realise that crystal malt could give that much unfermentable sugars. Thanks

You killed a lot of your enzymes by starting the mash at 75 C (167 F). Therefore you have a lot of unfermentable sugars in your wort.

The crystal malts really weren’t the problem. 10% crystal in an IPA is not unusual.

Try to get closer to 65 C (150 F) for your next mash, right away and without delay, and then you will have better efficiency and better final gravity.

Don’t bottle yet. It’s probably not done fermenting yet.

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]You killed a lot of your enzymes by starting the mash at 75 C (167 F). Therefore you have a lot of unfermentable sugars in your wort.

The crystal malts really weren’t the problem. 10% crystal in an IPA is not unusual.

Try to get closer to 65 C (150 F) for your next mash, right away and without delay, and then you will have better efficiency and better final gravity.

Don’t bottle yet. It’s probably not done fermenting yet.[/quote]

I agree if his O.G would have been 1.060+. But since he he only got 1.048 and since you don’t need conversion for the crystal malt he has a much higher percent of unfermentable sugar in his 1.048 O.G.

Father: You know, Tom, when Lincoln was your age, he was a very good pupil. In fact, he was the best pupil in his class.Tom: Yes, Father. I know that. But when he was your age, he was President of the United States.

fut 15 coins[/url]|[url=http://www.eafifa15.com/]cheap fifa 15 coins
http://www.fifa15buycoins.com/