Strong smell in keg

3 weeks ago I rinsed my kegs out with starzan. Hooked my co2 bottle up and ran it threw my tubing and taps then ran water threw it, after that I turned off my co2 pulled my relief valve on my kegs to release pressure didn’t take the caps off just let it sit. yesterday I took the cap off seen a little water on the bottom,i went to smell it and it burnt my nose a little bit. What was it.

CO2 burns a little when you smell it…like when I stick my head in my fermentation chamber, take a whiff, it burns and makes me winded.
Are these new kegs or where did you get them?

A buddy of mine ownes a bar, they had an old soda machine with a few soda kegs they weren’t using anymore.

Two things:

Why did you possibly contaminate your sanitized kegs by putting water in them? Just leave the Starsan in them.

Why did you release the pressure? Leave the CO2 inside the keg so when you go to use them, you know the kegs do not have a leak.

As far as the nose burn, like beersk said, CO2.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Two things:

Why did you possibly contaminate your sanitized kegs by putting water in them? Just leave the Starsan in them.

Why did you release the pressure? Leave the CO2 inside the keg so when you go to use them, you know the kegs do not have a leak.

As far as the nose burn, like beersk said, CO2.[/quote]

+1

before I racked over my beer I went and resanitized my keg, and I already knew my kegs didn’t leak. I’m not a kid so I don’t need to be talked to like one.

I think Nighthawk asked valid questions, which you clarified. :cheers:

Just pointing out that you made additional steps in your process.

Do with the information as you like.

In the user control panel is a “friend/foe” section. Fell free to add me to the “foe” section and my post will be invisible to you.

In the past I have asked the “childish” question if someone is using a refractometer to measure “post fermentation” gravity. They posted readings like they used a hydrometer. These individuals had no clue that alcohol skews the reading on a refractometer. Their posts went on for over a week about why they had a high gravity reading after 7 days of fermentation. Until I asked this simple question. BINGO, user error. This questioned saved them from wasting time and money adding additional yeast to a beer that was done fermenting.

Sometimes it is necessary to ask the most basic of questions.

If you are offended by this. I’m sorry. A major issue with the written word is that tone, inflection of the voice and facial expressions are completely lost. All major parts of communication.

Everything that you just said is true, sorry about that. I’m not trying to make enemies I just read it the wrong way I apologize. I’m still new at this kegging stuff so there is probably alot more questions I’m going to be asking.

Ask away, man, that’s what the forum is here for. Cheers & beers.

I lost a couple of pounds on my gauge from the keg side over night, should I worry about it.

Probably not. If you had a leak you’d be out of gas over night. The gauges aren’t perfect and everything “finds its place” over time.

If you stuck it in fridge, also the PSI will go way down. Or if the temperature in the house changed overnight, it’ll also go down. To check for leaks, spray anywhere in your system that has some kind of connection with starsan. If there’s a leak, it will start bubbling out.

Thanks everyone for your input. It did work itself out, tapped into it yesterday and it was dam good.