Stratified Fermentation

So my beer is actively fermenting. It is still relatively early, but i noticed that it looks like the activity is only in the top 6-8 inches of the carboy. I have seen this in the past, but by now it the stratification has usually encompassed the entire carboy. I used two packs of US-05. Has anyone seen their beer stay stratified for an extended period before?

nope, can’t say i have.

I’ve seen it a couple of times but not for too long. I can’'t see what you’ve got but it could just be stratification with different types of sugars. I wouldn’t worry about it. my fermentations get everything churned up and it goes away.

Disclaimer: I’m only on my fifth batch but I have a Belgian Tripel doing that now.

Actually I posted a question about this under ‘fermentation’ and it was in regards to the FG. When I moved it to the secondary it was a very hazy bright orange, but started to clear into a deep bronze in the top 6 inches. It stopped and settled back to a less bright, hazy color. After a couple of weeks I noticed it was stuck at a SG of 1.030 so I think the kit didn’t include enough yeast.

I tried to restart it with champagne yeast and the stratification came back (but not as pronounced as before) and most of the carboy now is a deeper bronze. This morning the SG was down to 1.026 but I don’t think it’s going any further, so I think I may bottle soon.

Short story is mine seemed to be related to yeast activity more than just ‘settling’.

Yeah, i think it was just related to yeast activity and maybe due to different sugars. The one different thing about this batch from the rest that I have made is that this one had a lb of candy sugar in it.

Don’t forget guys that our lovely friends the ale yeasts are living things and behave diffierntly under a multitude of variables. I know it’s tempting to obsess and test and obsess some more, but they are a “top fermening” yeast strain. A stratified layer in the top portion of a fermenter wouldn’t concern me in the least. I’d give it a good three weeks after pitching and get as accurate as possible a FG measuremnt and bottle or keg. There’s really not much else you can do any way. Take notes of your observations, but not action…

Swirl the carboy, rousing yeast is a normal method for getting fermentation to go to completion. Also, once the peak of ferm starts to subside you might want to put the carboy in a warmer spot to prevent a temp drop that signals the yeast its time to floc and quit. Once they do that its hard to get them going again.