Straining wort?

Anything wrong with gently pouring the cooled wort into the fermenter through a sanitized strainer to remove the hops and other debris ?

Nope, I still do this from time to time if my whirlpool is unsuccessful in keeping all the hops and break proteins out of the fermenter. It’s also not terrible if you just leave all that in that in the fermenter as it will all settle out. The only downside would be if you want to harvest the yeast for resuse you want to try to keep as clean from hop material as possible as repitching could impart some of those hop flavors into the next beer.

I’m of the “Why bother” persuasion. Recently this state of mind was validated by experimentation:

[quote=“Ken in MN”]I’m of the “Why bother” persuasion. Recently this state of mind was validated by experimentation:

[/quote]

Wow- quite surprising. If that’s the case, I agree- why bother? I would like to see another experiment, except doing one without cold-crashing. Wonder if that would make a difference or not.

[quote=“Ken in MN”]I’m of the “Why bother” persuasion. Recently this state of mind was validated by experimentation:

[/quote]

I’m not too sure I would characterize this as “validation”. While I agree that the results are intriguing, I would in no way consider one sample as being consistent with good scientific methodology. The odds of the difference being due to some other (unknown)variable are just too great. I would consider the same test done with five or more batches to be more statistically sound and much more compelling…

For what its worth though, I strain my wort through a double mesh strainer into the fermenter mostly to get rid of hop matter and my beers generally clear very well. I do generally do a quick whirlpool, but I don’t take any particular care about keeping every last particle away from the ball valve, and I generally empty the kettle to the last drop of wort.

I agree with Matt. Makes it easier if your saving yeast. The more headroom in the fermenter is nice to.

I always strain my wort. Not sure if there is a big difference, But I feel better doing it. :cheers: Tank

It is maybe not a definitive statement that the observed differences are due to the trub, but the results are a pretty good argument that whatever effect exists is relatively small compared to the level of reproducability a homebrewer is able to acheive with moderate effort.