Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Straight from primary to corney?

I just did a Northern Brewer AG American Wheat. I don’t bottle, I use corney kegs. I was thinking of going 3 or 4 weeks in the primary, skipping the secondary and then going straight into a corney. Any thoughts? Pro, Cons, ideas?

I usually ferment ales for 2 weeks and then transfer it into a corny.

Do it all the time. Usually around three weeks for me.

I typically go two weeks in the primary and then keg.

Yep. Works great.

Another yep. 3-4 weeks and straight to keg myself. No need to secondary.
The beer will clear in the keg as it carbs.

Why wait 3 or 4 weeks. For a normal gravity ale one week in primary is more than enough.
If you are worried about yeast then crash cool the keg then transfer to another keg.

i wait at least 3 weeks for all my beers. just standard practice IME

the yeast still have work to do after active fermentation is complete. 2 weeks minimum for me

[quote=“fimbrew”]Why wait 3 or 4 weeks. For a normal gravity ale one week in primary is more than enough.
If you are worried about yeast then crash cool the keg then transfer to another keg.[/quote]

I usually have other things going on (family, work, brewing…). That’s also about how long it takes me to kick a keg.

I always do it this way. I usually do it in 2-3 weeks. You can also dry hop in the keg. Tie some hops up in cheese cloth or a tea ball. I usually add an ounce of sugar mixed with water and heated to make a syrup. This keeps any CO2 in suspension from foaming as you add sugar and dry hops. I then add 20 Lbs of top pressure just to make sure the lid seals.

3 weeks for me as well.

[quote=“Legman”]Another yep. 3-4 weeks and straight to keg myself. No need to secondary.
The beer will clear in the keg as it carbs.[/quote]

Lets hope not, this is a wheat beer after all. hehe

2 weeks for any normal (sub 1.060) brew unless its a yeast thats slow to drop out (like alt 1007).

[quote=“tom sawyer”][quote=“Legman”]Another yep. 3-4 weeks and straight to keg myself. No need to secondary.
The beer will clear in the keg as it carbs.[/quote]

Lets hope not, this is a wheat beer after all. hehe

2 weeks for any normal (sub 1.060) brew unless its a yeast thats slow to drop out (like alt 1007).[/quote]
True, it is a wheat beer, but I still do them all about the same…just taste better to me.
Then again, I don’t really brew wheat beers much at all.

I primary for 2-3 weeks, cold crash, then keg. I like to rack clear beer into my kegs to avoid sediment. Also, once it’s cold-crashed, it will carb up faster because the beer is already cold. Keg hopping is the way to go.

Same here. Big beers or lagers will often go 3-4 weeks in the primary (to let the yeast clean up after themselves better). It is very rare for me to use a secondary these days, except if I plan to age the beer for an extended period and I don’t have a keg to spare.

+1 to everyone.

Ferment until done, I do like to crash it overnight, then rack to keg. I have never had an issue with too much crud in the keg. Know your beer. I had a stout I have brewed 3-4 times, always comes down to 1.018. This time I checked it after 10 days in the fermenter (6 days at 66, 2 at 68, 2 at 70 to clean up diacetyl) and then kegged it. But if your beer isn’t done fermenting for 3-4 weeks, then by all means wait.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com