Storing Star San for reuse

Watch this video from 1:23 - 4:09. http://vimeo.com/18746659
It’s cloudy, it’s three months old, and they’re not concerned.

No it should be fine. I heard an interview from the owner of Star San he said that hard water will react with it and make the water cloudy. It wont last as long but should work find just after being made.

you wont know unless you check your ph. My tap water does not work with star san

I too was worried about this. I called the manufacturer and was told that it shouldn’t be kept more than a week when used with tap water.

Mine turns cloudy within 30 mins or so on brewday. I mix up a 1/2 gal to 1 gal batch for starters and full 5 gallon batches for brewing and kegging. I’ll only reuse it if it’s within a few days of mixing. That being said, I know many who reuse it over and over again with no problems though.

It’s just what you’re comfortable with. I live near a couple homebrew shops and can easily get my hands on more if needed. I’m anal about getting things clean and sanitized and it makes me nervous using old sanitizer.

We mix up 5 gallons with distilled water, and we can usually keep that for 2 months easy. it stays clear as hell, can see what ever is in there on the bottom. over time it does get a little dirty but i just pour the good stuff off the top and throw the bottom nasties down the sink. have had no problems in 3 years of brewing, i do make sure the ph is under 3 as stated.

one big thing i noticed is when we mixed it with tap water it would cloud almost that same day and feel slimey and gross, with the distilled water it feels crisp and clean.

+1 to the above. Tap water would get cloudy and slimy and I have used RO for the last batch, it stays clear and crisp.