Storing noncarbonated beer at 56 F

I have a chest freezer that I lager with. However this year I am also storing kegs of non carbonated beer to build inventory since I have decided that I’m not brewing in the summer months. I will be storing these kegs at 37 F. But when I brew Kolsch I need that freezer to be 56 F. Will there be any quality issues if I bring the temp up and then back down periodically?

Thanks,

Brent

I’m not a kegger but it seems the beer would store better if the keg was purged of oxygen and a moderate amount of CO2 pressure was kept on the beer to slow the eventual oxidation.

Moderate changes in temperature won’t affect the quality of the beer over the short term. You may need to put a Best By label on the kegs based on the style. Dark beers will keep longer than light beers. Sours or Brett beers probably the longest of all the styles.

There is a blanket of CO2 but no pressure. Maybe that should be a separate question. I’m not sure if carbonated beer has a longer shelf life but refrigerated home brew has a shelf life of 8 - 12 months and room temp is 4 - 6 months. I was asking about frequent temp swings between 37 - 56 F.

Brent

That won’t matter. I do it all the time. When im planning on storing kegs I put them under a little pressure and let them naturally carbonate

1 Like

When you say a little pressure, can you be more specific? Do you let your stored kegs totally saturate? I want to make sure I am understanding what you are saying.

Brent

Sometimes I completely carbonate them then taste a few and pull them to make room. If I have no room at all I purge them then fill them to pressure of about 10psi and store them. I use kegs as bright tanks also and transfer beer into them when fermentation is almost complete seal with co2 and let them naturally carbonate. I’ve also sugar carbonated kegs before but haven’t in awhile. The key is purge of o2 and seal. Many beers like Ipa I won’t store they are better fresh. But British style ales do well sitting around. My Oktoberfest I brew in March then lager cold for a month then I store them at basement temps until about a month before I’m going drink them I lager cold on gas again and equalize them

The beer is going to absorb the gas you seal it with so if it makes you feel good you can hit with an occasional burst of co2 I generally don’t though.

Thanks for the information. I am going to try that.

Brent

Why wouldn’t you guys prime the keg, purge the O2 then let them sit at room temp to condition for a couple of weeks? Then you can store them at any temp you like and they will be ready to go when you are. There will be a little more sludge in the bottom but after the first pint or two that will clear as long as you don’t bounce the keg around first.

Making me wonder now. Based on some things I read on the forum, I made a scotch ale to which I added priming sugar and kegged. Purged with CO2 and shoved into a corner of the closet. I’ve just been letting it sit but pulling the PRV once in awhile to make sure it’s not getting too gassy. Should it be chilled now?

You could do it like that and I have but I have had inconsistent carbonation. A couple kegs I’ve had to rebalance which is no big deal. I just find it more convenient to carbonate the keg then store

I wouldn’t chill it until your ready to drink it. Scotch ale should do very well being stored. You are correct in releasing the pressure. A little under carbed is easier to adjust than over carbonated. I don’t drink much scotch ale but I believe you want lower carbonation anyway. Also not super cold. Good beer for the winter.

1 Like

Thanks!

You shouldn’t have to release pressure unless:

1. you keg it too soon and fermentation was active
  2. you added to much priming sugar

If you prime a keg and it continues to gain CO2 then you have an infection. A keg is just one big bottle.

Or pitched to much sugar. I never was able to dial it in

I would put on a picnic tap and take a small sample… Not right letting all that gas loose!! :joy: no, really, sample… always… Sneezles61

1 Like

That’s just wrong

#1 = False
#2 = Don’t think so

Maybe just scared? :scream: LOL

Thanks!