Stomach flu a few hours after brewing

I felt fine brewing. Very bad at 1am. Is it possible that whatever bacteria or virus can make it to the bottles? I don’t know of any sanitation mistakes. It only sat out when it was cooling and when I pitched the yeast.

Yup, all your beer is ruined. You can send it to me for proper disposal :stuck_out_tongue: .

No, all kidding aside, your beer is most likely just fine. The heat will kill most anything.

Um, beer doesn’t get viruses.

I had no idea before reading this post, but it looks like S. cerevisiae CAN get a virus (although it comes from a high frequency of mating and thus could I guess be considered a STD). Still nothing to worry about for humans, though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharomy ... _virus_L-A

(Isn’t biology amazing!)

[quote=“bucketbiochemist”]I had no idea before reading this post, but it looks like S. cerevisiae CAN get a virus (although it comes from a high frequency of mating and thus could I guess be considered a STD). Still nothing to worry about for humans, though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharomy ... _virus_L-A

(Isn’t biology amazing!)[/quote]
I knew there was a link between beer and STDs, but that never occurred to me.

So it was clear that the toxin produced by so-called “killer yeast” kills non-infected yeast, but I found no mention of that toxin’s impact on other organisms, e.g. People. I presume given the overall lack of buzz about killer yeasts, that the incidence is either exceedingly rare in the real-world, or the impact is very low.

The one time I caught an STD, I was drinking alot of beer. :oops:

Good to know the beer shouldn’t be passing something along with it. :shock:

I had beer and hummus that night. Still haven’t got my taste for beer back, which is starting to make me nervous.

Sounds suspiciously like brown bottle flu??? Happens to the best of us.

:cheers:

[quote=“ynotbrusum”]Sounds suspiciously like brown bottle flu??? Happens to the best of us.

:cheers: [/quote]

LOL, I wish. Made a Jack Daniels hangover seem very minor.

I’m still struggling to get my taste for beer back.

[quote=“s2y”]Good to know the beer shouldn’t be passing something along with it. :shock:

I had beer and hummus that night. Still haven’t got my taste for beer back, which is starting to make me nervous.[/quote]

Hmmm, Beer not so much…Hummus on the other hand a definite maybe in the equation.

[quote=“ITsPossible”]

Hmmm, Beer not so much…Hummus on the other hand a definite maybe in the equation.[/quote]

The wife and I were both really sick that night. She started to complain about how the beer smelled. :shock:

Not saying “someone” did not fork up the beer. But it seems so much more plausible that the hummus was “bad” in some way or form. It is awful hard to fudge up beer to the point of “injuring” people unless you no boil then your assured bug ferments of some shape. In some cases people will see health/ laxative effects from high yeast in any foodstuff depending on immune system. But if both you and your wife contracted the “Disease”/ food-borne illness symptoms I am guessing hummus #1 choice of the list.

Or extreme intoxication.

You be the judge.

[quote=“s2y”]
The wife and I were both really sick that night. She started to complain about how the beer smelled. :shock: [/quote]
Flu can mess with the sense of smell.
Now if you were drinking a rye beer, and this was 1813, I might suspect some Ergot got in the beer. Did anyone have limbs turn black and fall off? No? Actually, I don’t think anyone would confuse Ergot poisoning with flu…

I’m with ITsPossible on this, blame the hummus, or random other source.

I only had a pint that night. I’m a lightweight, but not that much of a light weight.

The wife was sick for about 24 hours and I was sick for about 48. Pretty sure I caught it at home vs. my hospital job since my wife was sick well before I was.

I doubt the stomach bug was airborne, which was why I was slightly worried since it was an extract beer and I was topping it off in the bathroom when the wife got sick.

Fact: It takes 24 to 48 hours for a virus or bacteria to start making itself known to a human.