Stirring primary

ok, I don’t see this question…maybe cause I am bad at searching but…

you ferment in your primary for a while…all the yeast falls to the bottom to form the cake.
what would be the effect of stirring your primary (gently) to get the yeast back in suspension?

nothing? ruined beer?

:?:

[quote=“Ekffazr”]ok, I don’t see this question…maybe cause I am bad at searching but…

you ferment in your primary for a while…all the yeast falls to the bottom to form the cake.
what would be the effect of stirring your primary (gently) to get the yeast back in suspension?

nothing? ruined beer?

:?: [/quote]
Shaving off a gravity point or two at best. Infecting/staling the beer at worst.

+1

However, Ive done this once or twice when a beer wasnt moving due to something like it got too cold, and it helped alot. Sanitize EVERYTHING.

My house yeast is very flocculent, so once or twice a day (after the third day) I grab the fermenting vessel and give it a good swirl to re-suspend the yeast.
Works like a charm, with no danger of contamination.

ok, thanks

it had just dawned on me while researching re-using yeast and I thought, well since the yeast is still good, it might do something more

looks like the answer is early on perhaps…later on don’t bother unless its stuck

thanks again for being so helpful!!!
:cheers:

When I use a highly flocculent yeast such as WLP002 I always GENTLY stir it back into suspension. This yeast tends to pack down tightly at the bottom of the bucket slowing the fermentation to a crawl. Never had any adverse effects and it definitely helps to move the fermentation along at a constant pace.

http://towercooler.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=97

Some may have seen this before, dunno if it would be a net positive for any style of beer; obviously it is for making huge starters, going into 20-50gallon batches??estimate… any further ideas/comments on other uses?

edit* let’s make some 36 hour hooch!

Don’t slosh it, gently create some current, it should be enough to pick up a little to resuspend and mix. don’t over do it

Whew… this was a well timed thread. My black IPA was sitting in my normal fermentation closet, but the cool weather resulted in an ambient temperature that fluctuated between 58 and 60 degrees. I moved it to a slightly warmer room and gently sloshed… bubbling has resumed. And yes, I know I need to pick up a hydrometer.