Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Stir plates & starters

I just finished making my stir plate (very easy) now when I make a starter how long should I let in run on the stir plate before pitching into wort? thanks

depending if I decant or not.
If I do not decant I get a starter on the plate about 8-16 hours before brewing

If I need to decant from a really big starter then I run it on the plate for about 12-16 hours. Put it in the fridge decant and hit with a little fresh wort on brew day to get yeast back going

I decant all of my starters and let them run for 24hrs before cold crashing.

I never decant. Ale starters 12-24 hrs. Lagers, 2-3 days at 50*. I pitch lager starters with my wort at 48*.

I run mine for two to three days. The cold crash a day, decant, and pitch.

4 days to make a starter :cheers:

4 days to make a starter :cheers: [/quote]

Never said I was right. Just what I do. It is also somewhat similar to denny’s schedule. And I usually do what ever that man says.

4 days to make a starter :cheers: [/quote]

Never said I was right. Just what I do. It is also somewhat similar to denny’s schedule. And I usually do what ever that man says.[/quote]

NEver said you were wrong.

I make mine 3-4 days out as well.

Depends on the size of the starter for me. If it’s a 1L starter (for 5 gal batch) then I will not decant it, so I make the starter the night before. That’s roughly 24 hours.

If the starter is bigger than 1L then I will decant it, so the starter gets made at 24-36 hours before brew time. 24 hours on the stir plate and the rest in the fridge to cold crash.

I don’t decant because I make a starter similiar to my wort, whether it be 1L or 5L. I found with my lager starters that if I stir at 50* for 2-3 days it TAKES off almost immediately which is difficult for a lager when pitching at lager temps.

If you are rock solid sure about sanitation then you can do what I do. On brew day after I collect all my wort and just prior to starting the boil I will pull off the needed amount of wort into my flask. I’ll ice bath cool it down pitch and put that on m stir plate over night. Then pitch the whole thing the next day. you will need to oxygenate your wort before pitching. Now you need to do full boils, on an average OG beer (1.070 is biggest I go), and you can’t mash hop (ok you might be able to mash hop never tried it). The theory of doing this way is your yeast is growing in the same environment (PH, sugar content, things like that), as the wort you will be pitching the starter into and there is less shock and no need to decant.
Otherwise I’ll do make a starter Thurday Spin it unti Saturday morning, let it drop out, decant most of the liquid and pitch.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com