Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Stepping up to a 1/2bbl brewery

We’re in the final design stages of our new 1/2 bbl brewery and I wanted to post up some pics/data to solicit reactions from the masses before we “break ground”.

It’s a pretty standard HERMS system, here are the data points:

• 20gal HLT, 20gal MLT and a 30gal Kettle
  • Electric Kettle and HLT (5500w elements ea)
  • All wood construction (conditioned, stained and sealed)
  • Misc storage under Kettle
  • “Clean in place”
  • 100% SS
  • Fluid transfer done via single March 815-PL
  • Plate chilled
  • MLT “trolley” rolls away when not in use to keep overall size compact
  • Cork deck/trolley insulation
  • HLT agitation undecided

So that’s about it, I’d love to hear any questions or comments on the design. I’ve been staring at it for days now and would love some outside perspective.

I don’t have the experience to comment, but when I write my children’s book, “Billy Brews with Uncle Bob”, would you illustrate it for me?

Hope you won’t have that storage container in place when your boiling other than that it seems OK.

HLT agitation use a long plastic or wooden spoon.

It’s a 30gal kettle, so not worried about boil overs. Are you thinking heat, or dripping from the valve?

I have a little “perspective,” first, how did you get in my brain, and second, when you making me one?

Looks pretty great brother. honest, good use of gravity and pumpage it seems.

Are you planning on mounting your pump on the same level as the bulk head for your MT? Do you have your pump head oriented in the same direction as the pic?

No catwalk?

you beat me to it :lol:

Looks like ball-valves. Have you looked into butterfly valves?

What’s the advantage?

No hidden nooks and crannies for bugs to hide. Can clean-in-place.

I’m confused? And where is the burner and this is made of wood?

The pump intake is currently designed to be at the same level as the MLT output. I want the pump head/plastic to be protected from getting bumped into by stuff so I put it on the trolley deck instead of on the front, and keeping it at the lowest valve will prevent priming issues.

Orientating the pump as it’s shown here, the intake points towards the MLT output.

The kettles all have 3 piece SS ball valves yes. The kettles come with them, so just adding a few more where needed.

Yes the whole stand is made of wood. There are no gas burners, the HLT and KET both run off 5500w 240v water heater elements. As the heat is applied directly to the liquor/wort, the kettles don’t get nearly as hot as when using direct fire and cork insulation is all that is needed to protect the decks.

Yes the whole stand is made of wood. There are no gas burners, the HLT and KET both run off 5500w 240v water heater elements. As the heat is applied directly to the liquor/wort, the kettles don’t get nearly as hot as when using direct fire and some simple cork insulation is all that should be needed to protect the decks.[/quote]
If I could read I would have seen electric at the top… :slight_smile:

I’ve got an unused BBQ rotisserie motor sitting here I’m thinking of putting into service. Just don’t want to take the leap to another pump.

Just made a lumber list, time to get cutting I guess!

I’ve got an unused BBQ rotisserie motor sitting here I’m thinking of putting into service. Just don’t want to take the leap to another pump.[/quote]

Great idea - I have a rotisserie motor laying around, too! Looks like I will be dreaming up a mash turn stirring set up this weekend…

I used to use a drill clamped to the side of the pot with a paint stirrer on it with a heat stick for my mash tun. Just a warning: you have to have the motor on a pretty high speed to avoid scorching on your heating element. It worked with my drill, but I’m not sure if your rotisserie motor would be up to the task. Also, at high speeds, my drill was really loud. I finally moved to electric RIMS instead, and I would suggest that you go this route too. I would recommend this model:

http://www.brewershardware.com/Tri-Clov ... -Tube.html

Good luck!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com