Steeping grains?

Actually, the entire mash is wrung out after lautering: http://www.alaskanbeer.com/our-brewery/ … ation.html

No; tannin extraction is only a concern when pH >6. Temperature has almost no effect on pH, and squeezing has no effect at all.

It’s one of those silly brewing rumors that someone started back in the '70s and people have been repeating ever since. Like that using simple sugars will result in cidery flavors.

[quote]Guaranteed, none of the beer available over the counter commercially (that you have to BUY) has been squeezed at any point in the production process. Promise.[/quote]This is possibly true, just as possible is that it is untrue because I doubt you’ve been to or talked to every commercial brewer out there. And advising homebrewers not to squeeze because of adverse affects it has on the beer is completely wrong. This is why brewing myths will never be abolished. I betcha even commercial brewers have bought into some of the old brewers’ tales that are out there. I won’t guarantee it though, or promise it.

:cheers:

Myth or fact, I have done nothing but LEARN interesting techniques, different ways to get the same result, but most of all I’m learning!

I want to Thank each poster/forum member for their dedicated actions here. Also Thank you to the OP for bringing up this subject as I was/am very curious as to why the NB instructions/dvd have guided us in the way of not squeezing.

Mainly the Master Brewers & those who have done this for a while, Thank You for putting up with a cocky newb with delusions of grandeur, which I see as a vision to future perfection in beer science!

I brewed another batch of Chinook this past weekend. After steeping at about 170 for 29 minutes it didn’t look like much had happened so I squeezed the snot out of the bag when I removed it. Lots of what I hope was good stuff came out. Hope I didn’t mess up.

Here’s an “exbeerament” to evaluate the squeeze/no-squeeze question: http://brulosophy.com/2017/05/22/brew-in-a-bag-the-impact-squeezing-the-bag-has-on-beer-character-exbeeriment-results/

Brulosophy’s results are not guaranteed to be accurate, but they are better than random, uncontrolled comparisons, or “it just makes sense to me that…”. Their findings in this issue were that squeezing did not affect the beer.

1 Like