Status Report. Am I on track?

Just wanted to get your guys thoughts on my FIRST EVER two batches I have going right now and see if the numbers look right to you. I tasted the sample from batch 1 and it was pretty carbonated and tasted pretty good. I attached a picture of the sample from batch 2 24hrs after brew day.

Batch #1

• Brewed 4 May 2012
  • Extract Kit
    -NB Mild Ale
    Measurements On Brew day;
    -Brix 8
    -ABV 4.8%
    -OG 1.032
    -SG once wort was ~60* was 1.035

Measurements on 10 May 2012
-Brix 2
-ABV ~1.5% (this is the one im worried about)
-SG 10 May 2012 is 1.012

Batch #2

• Brewed 9 May 2012
    -Extract Kit
    -NB Biere De Garde

Measurements made today;

• Brix 15
    -ABV 8%
  • OG 1.063
    -SG measured at 52* was 1.063

Based on the gravities you’re giving that first beer should be 2.7% according to the ABV calculator I plugged them into. I’m assuming you got that 1.5% from the potential ABV reading on the hydrometer? And just for a reference your SG on May 10 is actually what you would call your FG as in Final Gravity. Don’t know if that was just a slip up or if it needed clearing up since you’re new.

Looks like you hit the Biere De Garde dead on too.

[quote=“mplsbrewer”]Based on the gravities you’re giving that first beer should be 2.7% according to the ABV calculator I plugged them into. I’m assuming you got that 1.5% from the potential ABV reading on the hydrometer? And just for a reference your SG on May 10 is actually what you would call your FG as in Final Gravity. Don’t know if that was just a slip up or if it needed clearing up since you’re new.

Looks like you hit the Biere De Garde dead on too.[/quote]

Hey brother, thanks for the feedback I really appreciate the guidance! I did get the 1.5% from the hydrometer. What a I doing wrong to get the 1.5%?

Nothing but reading it wrong I think. I never actually use that but I think it’s more for your potential ABV before fermentation. Just take your Starting Gravity before pitching yeast, then take a Final Gravity reading after two-three weeks and plug those numbers into an ABV calculator to get your actual ABV%. There are a lot of them but I use this one just because it is the first that pops up on google. I honestly don’t even know the formula for calculating ABV, I just plug it in every time.

http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv.php

[quote=“mplsbrewer”]Nothing but reading it wrong I think. I never actually use that but I think it’s more for your potential ABV before fermentation. Just take your Starting Gravity before pitching yeast, then take a Final Gravity reading after two-three weeks and plug those numbers into an ABV calculator to get your actual ABV%. There are a lot of them but I use this one just because it is the first that pops up on google. I honestly don’t even know the formula for calculating ABV, I just plug it in every time.

http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv.php[/quote]

aaah, ok I got it! So, does 2.7% ABV sound right for a mild ale? seems really low.

…You’re final gravity could have been a bit lower but you’re not that far off. Maybe a few points. A mild ale is just that; mild. Take comfort in the fact that you’ll be able to throw back a ton of these beers in a night. Plus right off the bat you said it tasted pretty good so don’t worry about it.

Most milds are around 3% true session beers. It sounds like you did just fine. A little fine-tuning maybe. But don’t stress it. Just drink up and enjoy.

[quote=“EagleRising”][quote=“mplsbrewer”]Nothing but reading it wrong I think. I never actually use that but I think it’s more for your potential ABV before fermentation. Just take your Starting Gravity before pitching yeast, then take a Final Gravity reading after two-three weeks and plug those numbers into an ABV calculator to get your actual ABV%. There are a lot of them but I use this one just because it is the first that pops up on google. I honestly don’t even know the formula for calculating ABV, I just plug it in every time.

http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv.php[/quote]

aaah, ok I got it! So, does 2.7% ABV sound right for a mild ale? seems really low.[/quote]

I get 3.3 ABV and 2.6 ABW. 3.3 ABV is spot on for a mild.

On abv dont you take your abv from OG and subtract your abv from Fg to get finished reading? Thats how i understood the chart

To get ABV subtract your final gravity from your original gravity, then multiply by 131.

ABV=(OG-FG)*131

I guess even when you type numbers in to a calculator you can get the wrong answer if you plug in the wrong numbers…

I’m coming up with 3.1% as well now.

I use this formula in a spreadsheet… K is the OG and L is the FG.
=(76.08*(K24-L24)/(1.775-K24))*(L24/.794)/10