Starting hops in small container 1st year

I know its way to late to start hops but i had 4 rhizomes-2 centennial and 2 northern brewer’s i planted them in pots which are way to small but its all i can find at a reasonable price…i got very high quality potting mix…My question is can i keep these hops in these small pots for the first year just to develop the roots for next year? I will be moving in a few months and plan on replanting these in the ground next spring.

A small container won’t give the roots the room to grow that they need.
I think you’d be better off planting them in the ground and transplanting them when you move. How many months is a few? The growing season is only about five months.

A small container won’t give the roots the room to grow that they need.
I think you’d be better off planting them in the ground and transplanting them when you move. How many months is a few? The growing season is only about five months.[/quote]

Ok better question…will the hops die if they get rootbound?

I would say yes. I am astonished how much they grow underground

Give those mothers some room in your yard. Then, when you move, you go diggin’ for octupi. :cheers:

Yeah i got impulsive and planted in small pots…oh well see what happens…thanks yall

I’d throw them in the ground still, The roots are very hearty and very easy to dig up and transplant. I personally think that they will be easier to manage if in the ground. I think they will also do better.

I live in the Sandhills of North Carolina The ph of soil here is super low. About 3-4.5. I plan on building a “hop box”. About 20x8. My question is how deep would be required to get good rooting?