Starter with NB cream ale?

Should I do a starter with NB cream ale extract kit? I have everything to make it including a stir plate… Any thoughts? Wyeast 1056 yeast kit 1.040.

Thank you,
G

[quote=“Rpm90001”]Should I do a starter with NB cream ale extract kit? I have everything to make it including a stir plate… Any thoughts? Wyeast 1056 yeast kit 1.040.

Thank you,
G[/quote]

Depends on how fresh the yeast is. If it were much over two weeks old I’d do a starter.

Just brewed the NB cream ale last weekend with wy1056. Probably a few weeks old. I didn’t do a starter because of time restrictions. By the next morning it was chugging a way nicely & continued for 4 days. Slowed down now, but i think it will be good. Ferm temp @ 61. Aerated with pure 0xy. 8)

Thanks, I did the starter because I have never done one before… Will I need a normal airlock? Or go with a blow off tube. I have a 6 gal carboy.

Thanks

Geo

[quote=“Rpm90001”]Thanks, I did the starter because I have never done one before… Will I need a normal airlock? Or go with a blow off tube. I have a 6 gal carboy.

Thanks

Geo[/quote]

I use a blowoff for every batch. It can’t hurt and you’re ready just in case.

Thanks… Blowoff it is. Thank you.

Geo

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“Rpm90001”]Thanks, I did the starter because I have never done one before… Will I need a normal airlock? Or go with a blow off tube. I have a 6 gal carboy.

Thanks

Geo[/quote]

I use a blowoff for every batch. It can’t hurt and you’re ready just in case.[/quote]

I just made an American wheat the other day. I made a 1500 ml starter and pitched at 64 degrees. Put an air lock on the fermenter, and placed it in the chest freezer with the external controller set at 61 degrees. All was good for three days, then wham!! I opened the lid to find krausen spewing out the air lock and down the sides of the carboy. Man what a mess. Needless to say I have a blow off tube in place. Being new to this freezer thing, I thought the cooler temperatures would eliminate the need for a blow off tube. Now I see my thinking is wrong. Should I replace the blow off tube with the air lock in a week or two? Or just keep the blow off tube in place for the four weeks until I keg it?
Brad

[quote=“Bier brauer”]I just made an American wheat the other day. I made a 1500 ml starter and pitched at 64 degrees. Put an air lock on the fermenter, and placed it in the chest freezer with the external controller set at 61 degrees. All was good for three days, then wham!! I opened the lid to find krausen spewing out the air lock and down the sides of the carboy. Man what a mess. Needless to say I have a blow off tube in place. Being new to this freezer thing, I thought the cooler temperatures would eliminate the need for a blow off tube. Now I see my thinking is wrong. Should I replace the blow off tube with the air lock in a week or two? Or just keep the blow off tube in place for the four weeks until I keg it?
Brad[/quote]

Your choice, but my experience is that you don’t need to replace it with an airlock.

As long as the kids dont mess with the hose I will leave it. It’s working good now.