Starter with dry yeast

Quick question I am wanting to use dry yeasts this time as I might not get to brew them as fast and the kit my sit for a little while to long for a smack pack to sit around in the fridge. Dry yeast holds up better? in the fridge so do I just make the starter as usual for my deadringer kit? I have 2L flask and stir plate kit and have made several starters with the liquid yeasts as well 2nd and 3rd gen on the liquid yeasts with sucsess but have never used a dry yeast. so if I use the safale 05 just make a 1.5L ish starter maybe?

Thanks
Lonnie

Most say a starter with dry yeast is not adviced.

What is the og of the batch you are looking to use the dry yeast?

Don’t make starters for dry yeast. There are plenty of cells in a pack for most beers under about 1.070. Making a starter can even be detrimental because you use up the nutrients that the yeast are coated with.

Thank you for the info, so the deadringer kit calls for a starter but gives dry yeast option OG is in line so 1 pack us05 should do it then.

+1 on the no starter needed, but I rehydrate the dry yeast prior to pitching to allow the yeast to build up their cell walls to a point where there is less stress to the yeast - but many pitch the yeast right onto the wort with reasonably good success. There are clearly 2 camps on that issue.

Your choice

:cheers:

[quote=“ynotbrusum”]+1 on the no starter needed, but I rehydrate the dry yeast prior to pitching to allow the yeast to build up their cell walls to a point where there is less stress to the yeast - but many pitch the yeast right onto the wort with reasonably good success. There are clearly 2 camps on that issue.

Your choice

:cheers: [/quote]

I usually go by what the package instructions say, unless I’m in a hurry or feeling lazy or not paying attention or feeling contrary or wondering what would happen if I ignored the instructions or if I were too drunk (or hungover) to make out what the package says :?