Starter started?

I made this starter last evening and it has never really shown any action. It gets swirled every time I walk by. I have since read that you might not always get a krausen on a stater, and the layering is what you are looking for. It’s wyeast 2112.

Looking ok?
Or should I run out to NB before Saturday?

If you swirl it, does it show signs of CO2 coming out of solution? If so, you have fermentation.

Yes! As of this morning there is CO2 when I swirl it. Enough to hiss out from the foil a make a 2-finger head.

Thanks!

I was concerned because with my first starter with NeoBrit yeast, it had a big krausen that lingered a bit. That was a more fresh packet of yeast, my 2112 was a bit old.

[quote=“ibeentired”]Yes! As of this morning there is CO2 when I swirl it. Enough to hiss out from the foil a make a 2-finger head.

Thanks!

I was concerned because with my first starter with NeoBrit yeast, it had a big krausen that lingered a bit. That was a more fresh packet of yeast, my 2112 was a bit old.[/quote]

It is still working then, most likely. Because it is not truly carbonated, any head is really foam/krausen and an indication that the yeast is still having their meal. I usually allow 2-3 days for the starter to finish and then cold crash

It foam up almost instantly while swirling and dropped back in within 5 mins. Regardless there was CO2 so I am happy.

Keep swirling every chance you get. When the foam stops, you are basically done. Then cold crash.