Starter smells sour - should I dump it?

I made my first 2L starter with 1056 a day and a half ago and just went to cold crash it in the fridge. To my surprise, the starter has a strange sour smell to it. Almost like it has apple cider in it. None of my 1L starters have smelled like this. Should I dump it and pick up a new smack pack? I cleaned and sanitized everything as usual, so not sure where I went wrong, but this starter definitely doesn’t smell like others I’ve made. Just wondering if off flavors are common for bigger starters or if you all agree I should dump it.

Thanks

Hard to say based on smell. My starters usually smell a bit like sour apple juice. It’s just the smell of nasty oxidized beer. I would say you are fine.

Hmmm. That’s pretty much what mine smells like. It’s kinda like apple juice, but with green apples. Sour and cidery. It’s not pungent or anything. Just noticeable with a good whiff.

I would agree with this, but if it worries you and you don’t have time for a new starter, just use a pack or two of S-05. Same yeast, more cells, different lab.

Thanks. I contemplated picking up a pack or two of US-05, but I think I’ll just use this starter and see what happens. I’m actually curious to see how it turns out. I’ll post an update on this thread in a few weeks when all is said and done.

I’ve had the same thing happen to my starters. some smell really strange ,others like malty beer.
never had a bad one yet, knock on wood. let us know if it gos good or bad. thanks.

[quote=“grainy”]I’ve had the same thing happen to my starters. some smell really strange ,others like malty beer.
never had a bad one yet, knock on wood. let us know if it gos good or bad. thanks.[/quote]

same here. Remember you are growing yeast, not making beer. Not always going to smell like (good) beer.