starter question

Hello,

I bought a 1 gallon starter kit last week and I first brewed on sunday. I think I have did what ever that says in video and instructions. on my first brew day after pouring half of yeast. I placed the bottle in a dark room. I noticed a sprinkling sound out of the room , I see the liquid is sprinkling out of the bottle with log of bubbles flowing out of the airlock. I removed the airlock and the bubbles keep on flowing out. I placed the cap again and let it like that. In the morning I dont see any bubble coming out of it. Now after 2 days i dont see that the yeast is doing anything. No bubbles or any thing going inside the glass bottle. Is this going to be like this or did I screwup :cry:

Thanks in advance…

My guess is the active fermentation has slowed way down and you are 100% fine.

Thanks for the reply…

Is that how the yeast behaves the first 8 hours or so (very aggressive throwing away bubbles?)

So do you think I can wait for next 2 weeks?

Did you put a screw cap on it? If so, take it off. You are building up pressure. If the temperature is high (70 is high for beer) then you can see fermentation in a very short amount of time. Also, for those 1 gallon batches, I you use a portion of the yeast. If you used the whole packet, there were twice as much yeast in the batch to chew through the sugar. The 1 gallon kits are usually low gravity beers. A low gravity beer will ferment faster. So, with the combination of high temps, too much yeast, and low gravity batch, I can see active fermentation finishing rather quickly.

Get a large tube and drilled stopper that fits in the gallon jug’s mouth. Put one end in the jug and the other in a bucket of start san. The blowoff (brewer’s term for what you’re experiencing) will flow through the tube and into the bucket.

The yeast will do what it wants, depending on a lot of factors. I’ve had some fermentations kick off early and aggressive after a couple hours, and some that don’t show any kind of activity for 48 hours. Airlock bubbling is only a rudimentary tool to tell things are happening. You will usually only see signs of bubbling for a few days, then no airlock activity. Don’t fear! The yeast is still doing it’s thing. You can definitely wait another 2 weeks. The waiting is the hard part, but give it enough time for the yeast to clean up after itself and you will be rewarded.

[quote=“mvsawyer”]Did you put a screw cap on it? If so, take it off. You are building up pressure. If the temperature is high (70 is high for beer) then you can see fermentation in a very short amount of time. Also, for those 1 gallon batches, I you use a portion of the yeast. If you used the whole packet, there were twice as much yeast in the batch to chew through the sugar. The 1 gallon kits are usually low gravity beers. A low gravity beer will ferment faster. So, with the combination of high temps, too much yeast, and low gravity batch, I can see active fermentation finishing rather quickly.

Get a large tube and drilled stopper that fits in the gallon jug’s mouth. Put one end in the jug and the other in a bucket of start san. The blowoff (brewer’s term for what you’re experiencing) will flow through the tube and into the bucket.[/quote]

The original poster will have to confirm, but when i look at the picture of the 1 gal starter kit that comes from NB, it looks like there is a screw cap BUT it comes with a hole in it for the 3 peice air lock.

I am guessing the foam reached up to this airlock and was coming out the top a little bit.

if that is the case then you should be fine. If instead I am wrong and you put a solid cap on now then mv is correct, you need to repalce that with the airlock or as MV suggested

regardless yes, it is common after a day or two for the ‘bubbles’ to slow down dramatically. almost to the point by the end of the week you may see little to no bubbling. give it 2 weeks regardless, should turn out great.

yes, It came with a screw cap and an airlock on top of it. Yes you are correct in the first few hours of fermentation, The yeast kicked the beer out from the airlock. At that point i took off the screw cap and let the bubble flow out of the bottle as much as it can and i place the screw cap and airlock again.
From there I didn’t see any bubbles coming from bottom. So I am thinking that there is not activity by the yeast.

MwSawyer, I didn’t under stand these terms as this is my first brew process :cheers:
“Get a large tube and drilled stopper that fits in the gallon jug’s mouth. Put one end in the jug and the other in a bucket of start san. The blowoff (brewer’s term for what you’re experiencing) will flow through the tube and into the bucket”

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/revi ... t/id/3042/

Basically a 1/2" tube that you use instead of an airlock so that you don’t have a mess with an explosive fermentation. One end is in the fermenter and the other is in a bucket of sanitizer.
:cheers:

I brew one gallon batches and I don’t just suggest but urge you to use a blowoff tube. What you are describing is perfectly normal and it happens to me all the time when I brew using extracts. A blowoff tube will cost like 3 bucks and all that happy gas will have a place to go.

EDIT: Your kit, if bought from Northern Brewer, should containt he blowoff tube.

mvs, Thankyou.

yes I bought my kit at NB.

So i will pop bubble wrap for 2 weeks i guess :cheers:

The link MV posted is exactly what you are trying to do in general. One thing, without checking into it myself, not sure if the stopper in the link he provided is the one you would use for the gallon fermenter.

In other words, same concept but make sure you look for a stopped/tube combination that would fit the gallon jug thing your 1 gal kit has.

also, you can get a thing called Fermcap ($1.99 from NB) that would help with this as well. silicone that you put 1 drop or so in and it helps with foam overs

regardless I 100% agree with the others above as well. with a 1 gal kit and such a small jug/jar, I would use the blow off tube set up versus the 3 piece airlock. if you were not monitoring it, what you seriously might of had happen is the foam would of (possibly) crept up to the air lock, clogged it, pressure would of built up and then BLAM beer explosion out of the top.