Starter on a stir plate

I am making a yeast starter. It will be on a stir plate until I pitch the whole starter. How long should I keep the starter on the stir plate before I pitch it. :?:
Thanks!!

Is this being made with a fresh pack/vial from the LHBS, yeast slurry, bottle dregs etc? What’s the target OG and style of the beer?

Assuming it’s a White Labs or Wyeast pack and you are brewing a semi-normal ale 3 days should be just fine

[quote=“BRANDON”]Is this being made with a fresh pack/vial from the LHBS, yeast slurry, bottle dregs etc? What’s the target OG and style of the beer?

Assuming it’s a White Labs or Wyeast pack and you are brewing a semi-normal ale 3 days should be just fine[/quote]

Thanks Brandon, The yeast is Wyeast, I think it’s Dennys Favorite. The kit is all grain Tallgrass Wheat. Not sure the date on the yeast pack. I received the kit about three weeks ago, but because of work, I had no time to brew and the yeast has been in the fridge. I was thinking of brewing on New Years day, but thought I was out of time.

Nah you should be just fine if you are planning a New Years brew day.

No need to keep it on the stir plate until New Years if making it now.

Just like beer, a starter will tell you when it is done. After 24-48 hours, turn off the stir plate for an hour or two and check it again. If the top of the starter is starting to clear, it is pretty much done. If it stays cloudy throughout, give it more time.

Note: I generally do not start my stir plate until I just start seeing signs of active fermentation. So I don’t count lag time as time on the stir plate. I still swirl like crazy every time I walk by, but wait unit I see movement before turning on the plate.