Starter for WY3787 gone bad?

LMs,
Getting ready to brew Le Petite Orange extract with WY3787 (6/6/13 manf date). Started working on the starter on Sunday. Smacked the pack Sunday around 5 PM. By 8 PM, no inflation. So, I decided to give it more time. By Monday at 6 PM the pack had inflated some, but not like usual. I went ahead and cooked up my 2l starter. I used about 1/2 cup of DME, as is my custom and put it on the stir plate. Tuesday morning, no visible activity or bubbles. Tuesday evening, very small microbubbles, no krausen. This morning (Wednesday) no visible activity. So, I normally have good bubbling and see at least a small krausen. I would normally have the starter on the stir plate for 24 hrs, and 48 hrs in the fridge. Any thoughts on this yeast, or weather I should get a new one?
Thanks!
Chet

[quote=“chetgregg”]LMs,
Getting ready to brew Le Petite Orange extract with WY3787 (6/6/13 manf date). Started working on the starter on Sunday. Smacked the pack Sunday around 5 PM. By 8 PM, no inflation. So, I decided to give it more time. By Monday at 6 PM the pack had inflated some, but not like usual. I went ahead and cooked up my 2l starter. I used about 1/2 cup of DME, as is my custom and put it on the stir plate. Tuesday morning, no visible activity or bubbles. Tuesday evening, very small microbubbles, no krausen. This morning (Wednesday) no visible activity. So, I normally have good bubbling and see at least a small krausen. I would normally have the starter on the stir plate for 24 hrs, and 48 hrs in the fridge. Any thoughts on this yeast, or weather I should get a new one?
Thanks!
Chet[/quote]

I had a similar situation with 3787 just this past June and ended up giving it another day on the stir plate. It ultimately grew up enough yeast for my beer, also a low gravity belgian style. You may want to go with a better-safe-than-sorry option if you have an alternative.

Wahoo,
Thanks for the input. I’ll give it 48 hours on the stir plate, 48 hours in the fridge, and brew it from there. I’m always surprised by how differently yeasts react. I’ve been really into the Belgian beers lately, so I’m using lots of yeasts that I’ve never experienced before. Hopefully, we’ll have good fermentation!
Chet

I checked my log and it took a full day for activity in my fermentor to start, then it went nuts for 2 days, then was done. A suboptimal ferment for sure, but the end result is fine, in fact it has none of the sulfur nose that this strain can hold onto after weaker fermentations.