Starter for dry yeast?

I’m waiting for my second extract kit to arrive tomorrow, it is coming with Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast. I have been reading about making yeast starters. The directions say to pitch the yeast straight from the packet to the wort. Does dry yeast benefit from a starter? If not is it best to rehydrate it first or just pitch it as per the instructions with the kit?

Thanks
Rob

Dry yeast does not need a starter. There is debate on whether or not it’s beneficial to rehydrate or to sprinkle. Personally, I don’t see much of a difference. So it’s really up to you how you treat your dry yeast.

1 pack of dry yeast will work on a 5 gallon batch of ale up to 1.080, 1.045 for lagers. Anything over that use two packs. It’s not good to make a starter with dry yeast.

Thanks MV

Rehydration is better IMO

http://bkyeast.wordpress.com/2013/03/13 ... hydration/

Thanks for the advice guys, I re-hydrated it as per the instructions in Palmer’s book. It was bubbling a little 45min after I stored it. We’ll see how it looks in the morning. :cheers:

[quote=“RobnCO”]Thanks for the advice guys, I re-hydrated it as per the instructions in Palmer’s book. It was bubbling a little 45min after I stored it.[/quote]It was active 45 minutes after you pitched the yeast? What temp was the wort?

The temp was 74 degrees 45 min after I put it in the closet, it was bubbling about once a minute. This morning it was bubbling much faster at 72 degrees. I'm moving it to a cooler spot today to try to get it down around 65 degrees.