StarSan to sanitize raw vegetables? Crazy talk/

could you use starsan (in a spray bottle) to sanitize raw fruit and vegetables? You know, veggies and fruit you bring home from the grocery.

Or is that just crazy talk?

cheers

Wash them first.

I almost soaked some cherries in StarSan before adding them to a beer.

[quote=“StormyBrew”]could you use starsan (in a spray bottle) to sanitize raw fruit and vegetables? You know, veggies and fruit you bring home from the grocery.

Or is that just crazy talk?

cheers[/quote]
For use in beer, or for cooking/eating?

Given that there are poison control actions listed on the bottle, I would sugest that you either not do it, or at least wash them very well before you eat them.

Why? It is a no-rinse sanitizer for beer. Is “food” different?

Star-San kills living things. The problem with your veggies isn’t things crawling on them it’s the pesticides and herbicides that they’re covered in. Those need to be washed off. Whether we’re talking about veggies for beer (?) or for eating, those chemicals need to be removed. If you’re talkin about putting them in beer, a vodka soak would probably be better than Star-San. Or better yet, buy organic, especially for fruits and veggies whose skin you eat.

That poison control info is more than likely for the full strength starsan. Not the diluted stuff we use.

Interesting question. I can see why you might be wondering this given all the cases of food borne illness that are derived from fresh produce each year.

Even if it works and is safe, I don’t think the result would be that good. I suspect applying an acid to fresh produce would render the food less “fresh” in taste, texture and appearance.

Also think about how slippery Star San makes things. I’d hate to be the one trying to cut a slippery apple!

[quote=“johngreg2”]Star-San kills living things. The problem with your veggies isn’t things crawling on them it’s the pesticides and herbicides that they’re covered in. Those need to be washed off. Whether we’re talking about veggies for beer (?) or for eating, those chemicals need to be removed. If you’re talkin about putting them in beer, a vodka soak would probably be better than Star-San. Or better yet, buy organic, especially for fruits and veggies whose skin you eat.[/quote]Have you heard about the killer canteloupe from our fair state? It was bacteria, not pesticides. The pesticides may have saved some lives.

Good discussion. My question was regarding eating not brewing. I was thinking along the line of the annual news stories about someone getting sick from eating (fill in name of fruit or vegetable here). After suffering from food poisoning several years ago, I don’t wish that on anyone…or me again.

The poison warning on starsan has to be associated with full strength. Same for their “skin” warning. When diluted, we should be able to drink the stuff since it is no rinse and fear-no-bubbles. Otherwise, it makes no sense to “no rinse” or be fearless.

:cheers:

Charley Talley the original chemist at Five Star would mix a teaspoon of it in a beer and then drink it.