Starsan reacting with stainless? or hose?

I was brewing over the weekend, and had my oxygen setup sanitizing while doing a few other last minute things before pitching.
I had the barb and the stone sitting in some sanitizer, the black hose was connected to the barb fitting also.
I did not notice it until right when I was dropping it in the wort. The barb that attaches to the stone had some discoloring on the stainless it was turning black all around it. I have never seen starsan react with stainless so quickly or maybe it came from the psi hose that was included with the kit?

THis happen to anyone before or wondering about my issues on the beer from the discoloration?

Once more question my oxygen setup came with and inline air filter which kind of makes it a pain to work with. For those of you using oxygen setups do you filter it? I have only used it a few times and just left it but some people use them and some do not. Whats your guys take?

I found a link on morebeer which looks pretty similar to the one I bought
site

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16604/ ... ial_System

Not sure what the black hose is made of, but StarSan will not damage stainless, so likely it was the hose softening.

thats what I thought but there was no discoloration of the stainless the first time. Just this time. hmmmm. It is a black hose (not sure of the material) that is rated for a certain psi and comes with a lot of the oxygen setup kits. What do you think about harmfull effects to the wort. I am thinking minimal. You could not rub the stains off the stainless, I didnt mess with it to much , as I will probably just replace the barb.

What does everyone think about the inline filter? I heard that nothing can live in pure 02 so I am thinking of getting rid of it, it cant get wet and is a pain to keep connected to the other hoses and such it doesn not easily come apart

Star San will turn stainless black if you leave in there long enough. This has happened to me with barbed fittings from my draft system. I have no idea what the reaction is but it isn’t pretty. I try not to leave anything in contact with star stan for longer than about 20 min b/c it also makes that soapy deposit on tubing…

Thats exaclty what it did, it is not totally black but areas all around the fitting I didnt have it on there really long maybe 10 minutes I think. I could be off by a little bit?
Do you think any ill effects from using it?

You talking about this kind of fitting?

If so, I’ve had that happen before. But the fitting is not stainless. It’s plated brass. How do I know? Well, Starsan ate all the plating off and now I have a brass fitting. :shock:

thats what I thought but there was no discoloration of the stainless the first time. Just this time. hmmmm. It is a black hose (not sure of the material) that is rated for a certain psi and comes with a lot of the oxygen setup kits. What do you think about harmfull effects to the wort. I am thinking minimal. You could not rub the stains off the stainless, I didnt mess with it to much , as I will probably just replace the barb.

What does everyone think about the inline filter? I heard that nothing can live in pure 02 so I am thinking of getting rid of it, it cant get wet and is a pain to keep connected to the other hoses and such it doesn not easily come apart[/quote]

The inline filter is only needed with an air pump. I took mine off years ago as I use the small red 02 tank from the hardware store with no problems for over 7 years now. Take it off and reduce the brew day stress a notch.

[quote=“fightdman”]You talking about this kind of fitting?

If so, I’ve had that happen before. But the fitting is not stainless. It’s plated brass. How do I know? Well, Starsan ate all the plating off and now I have a brass fitting. :shock: [/quote]

Yep

[quote=“fightdman”]You talking about this kind of fitting?

If so, I’ve had that happen before. But the fitting is not stainless. It’s plated brass. How do I know? Well, Starsan ate all the plating off and now I have a brass fitting. :shock: [/quote]

Have any effects to your beer?

[quote=“grainbelt”]Have any effects to your beer?[/quote]Besides the lead poisoning? :wink:

:lol: