Star San

I just used Star San for the first time. I mixed about half a bucket (2.5 Gals) to about 1/2 oz. Star San and sanitized my equipment. I was transferring a batch from the primary to the secondary fermenter. I sprayed down the lid quite well and let it sit for a time. when I went to put the lid back on I forgot to dump the Star San out of the lid. I flipped the lid over the batch and about 2-3 oz. fell in to the brew.

will this kill the yeast, and more importantly will the batch be safe to drink?

I know it is known for being super safe but there are warning labels on the bottle telling you to call poison control if ingested. has anyone else done this? I could use the advice.

[quote=“Trank”]I just used Star San for the first time. I mixed about half a bucket (2.5 Gals) to about 1/2 oz. Star San and sanitized my equipment. I was transferring a batch from the primary to the secondary fermenter. I sprayed down the lid quite well and let it sit for a time. when I went to put the lid back on I forgot to dump the Star San out of the lid. I flipped the lid over the batch and about 2-3 oz. fell in to the brew.

will this kill the yeast, and more importantly will the batch be safe to drink?

I know it is known for being super safe but there are warning labels on the bottle telling you to call poison control if ingested. has anyone else done this? I could use the advice.[/quote]

The warning labels refer to undiluted Star San. Diluted, it’s perfectly safe for both humans and yeast. By the time the beer is finished, you’ll never know it’s there.

Thanks Dave.

Dave’s not here, man.

Reminds me of a local commercial that used to play on the radio about a guy who sold houses. It would say, “Dave sold my house in 15 days. Thanks Dave.”
Of course that guys name is Denny and to my knowledge he doesn’t sell houses…
Edited: anywhoo he is right and diluted star san is harmless.

I know star san is supposed to be able to be reused if the ph stays below three, what’s the best way to tell without buying a 60-70 dollar ph meter. On top of the cost it seems like a lot of hassle operating one of those things, especially since this is all I’d use it for and I only brew 8-10 times a year.

Buy some inexpensive pH strips in the correct range. They may not be accurate enough for beer, but they’re fine for StarSan.

Buy some inexpensive pH strips in the correct range. They may not be accurate enough for beer, but they’re fine for StarSan.[/quote]

Another thing is to use RO water. Your star san will stay in proper pH range longer because there are no salts to react with.

Buy some inexpensive pH strips in the correct range. They may not be accurate enough for beer, but they’re fine for StarSan.[/quote]

Sounds like a plan.

The strip work, the local brew store here has a percision labs pill bottle of 100 test strips for under $10. Its for ph 3-6, works just like dipping a strip in pool water.

Also, I read RO water. What about distilled water?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

[quote=“tron140”]The strip work, the local brew store here has a percision labs pill bottle of 100 test strips for under $10. Its for ph 3-6, works just like dipping a strip in pool water.

Also, I read RO water. What about distilled water?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk[/quote]

Distilled will work fine too. :cheers: