Star San Mishap

Hello Everyone.

This afternoon, at the end of a nice little brew day, I inadvertently transferred 5.5 gallons of wort (Farmhouse Biere de Table) into a primary carboy containing approx. 1/2 gallon of Star San - please hold your applause. What will come of this? Off flavors? Total loss? Safe to drink?

Thanks in advance…

I did the same thing. Couldn’t taste it. My innards didn’t explode, either. Should be fine. Report back!

Thanks, learningmore – glad you lived to tell the tale. I pitched as planned and will report back with an update after primary fermentation…

If you mixed the Star San as directed, you’ll probably have about a drop of it in your brew. It’s mostly just water. Hope there’s no chlorine in it.

[quote=“Dan S”]Hello Everyone.

This afternoon, at the end of a nice little brew day, I inadvertently transferred 5.5 gallons of wort (Farmhouse Biere de Table) into a primary carboy containing approx. 1/2 gallon of Star San - please hold your applause. What will come of this? Off flavors? Total loss? Safe to drink?

Thanks in advance…[/quote]

At worst your wort must has been free from bacteria :smiley: . if you made proper proportions of starsan to water at most you only have ~.125 oz or ~3.75 ml of starsan in your 6 gallons which is extremely diluted. Like brwrboy69 said drops of starsan.

[quote=“andjenliang”]

At worst your wort must has been free from bacteria :smiley: . if you made proper proportions of starsan to water at most you only have ~.125 oz or ~3.75 ml of starsan in your 6 gallons which is extremely diluted. Like brwrboy69 said drops of starsan.[/quote]

Thanks to both of you – that kind of perspective really, well, puts thing into perspective! Fermentation is going full throttle this morning, so hopefully all will end well…

StarSan at those dilutions… after being diluted for use and further diluted by the brew will simplyturn into Yeast Food… cheers

Now you will have a beer that you can drink by the gallon and not get intoxicated… :wink:

I’ve heard of this happening before and I wouldn’t be concerned. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but star san is a acid anionic sanitizer, and the acidity of it is LESS than that of a Mountain Dew.