stand up freezer for fermentation chamber

i ran across a stand up freezer today andi was wondering if there would be any problem using it as a ferm chamber? i use either 1 gallon bottles or Mr. beer lbk’s for fermenting. this thing would hold maybe five of those plus 100 bottles (to cellar). i plan on keeping it in the house around 65°with a stc-1000 and a wireless/powerless dehumidifier. i may even install a foot tall cardboard retain wall at the bottom to help keep the cool in. does this sound like a good plan?

the freezer you are describing is fine. However remember the following with ferm chambers:

You ideally need to regulate/maintain BEER temperature, not ambient temperature. That is what should be around 65* for ales, not the ambient temperature around the fermenting vessel. So it becomes problematic when you are trying to regulate multiple fermenters, with multiple wort compositions, yeasts, amount of yeast, and resulting varying HEAT generated from the yeast fermenting the beer in a single chamber. Particularly when you are loading different batches in there at different times.

However, remember that ferment temp control (for ales at least) is much more critical in the first few days of the fermentation. What I have done when fermenting multiple batches is to closely regulate the batch for the first few days in the chamber, then remove the fermenter and let it finish up at 70* ambient when I put a new fermenter in the fridge/chamber.

Also, grab an Eva Dry dehumidifier or Damp-rid crystals, and if you are really fanatical, a small fan to circulate air.

Usually stand up freezers have the cooling coils in the shelves. So they are not adjustable. Just make sure your fermenters will fit between the shelves before buying.

If you keep the temp set to 60 you should be fine. Bringing a 3-4 day old beer out to room temp is not a bad idea either.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Usually stand up freezers have the cooling coils in the shelves. So they are not adjustable. Just make sure your fermenters will fit between the shelves before buying.

If you keep the temp set to 60 you should be fine. Bringing a 3-4 day old beer out to room temp is not a bad idea either.[/quote]

fortunately, the cooling coils are not in the shelves, so no problem there. Bringing the beer out to room temp, you mean bring the fermentor out after 3 or 4 days? how long before i put it back? My house temps fluctuate from 66 during winter nights to 82 summer days