Stalled fermentation

Happy thanksgiving y’all

Brewed an Indian brown ale recipe out the extreme brewing book. Brewed to recipe and had an OG of 1070. Used wyeast ring wood yeast and three weeks in primary has put it at 1026. I’d like this to end a little drier. There is still airlock activity and I have moved the beer to secondary and gave it a good swirl to try to get the yeast some oxygen and wake them up a little. The fermenters rest in a room with an ambient temp of mid 60’s and fermometer readings have the beer at 60-62 degrees.

Have you ever introduced a different yeast strain to help finish a beer? If so, which one? I have an 04 in the fridge as well as a washed and stored 1056. I also have a few packets of champagne yeast on hand as well. What say you, master brewers?

Before you do anything else,
Get the beer warmer somehow. Put it in a warmer spot, or a small heater near it.
Try to hold it mid 70’s for a week to help keep the yeast going.

You should have left it in the primary and warmed it up. I always raise the temperature to 70° or so after a week and then I leave it until it’s done. Doing a secondary is really just for clarifying and conditioning, not another stage of fermenting. Homebrew shops would be doing a favor by quit calling it a secondary fermentation and an “advanced” procedure.

That said, I’d go with Scott Miller’s advice, it may take more than a week though. Shake the sh!t out of it too a few times a day.

i agree with the above, try to warm it up. and the yeast that are left after the transfer will pick things back up.

Shaking a fermenter after fermentation? Isn’t that going to cause the beer to become stale? I’ve always heard no O2 after fermentation. :oops:

A gentle stir to roust the yeast on the other hand. But you removed the beer from the yeast so there is nothing to roust.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Shaking a fermenter after fermentation? Isn’t that going to cause the beer to become stale? I’ve always heard no O2 after fermentation. :oops:

A gentle stir to roust the yeast on the other hand. But you removed the beer from the yeast so there is nothing to roust.[/quote]Yeah I’d forgot that he had moved to a secondary, I’d had a few when I replied. Shaking it wouldn’t be a good idea since there would be some air in the headspace.

Update: moved carboy to warmer room. Warmer by 10 degrees F. Airlock still had activity. Took gravity reading today and it was 1020. I’m happier with this result, the beer tasted pretty darn good, still just a touch sweet, but acceptable. I’ll keep it warm for a couple more days as the ring wood strain recommends a diacetyl rest period.

Solid advice from the board, thanks.