Stained pot - not that kind of pot!

Getting ready for round 2… I wanted to clean my bottles by using hot water and PBW. After about an hour in very warm water, I cooled and rinsed my bottles.

Problem is now my brew bot is stained… I’m guessing from the water/PBW. Is is safe to use? I’ve cleaned it, but wonder if it will affect my next brew taste.

Ok to use or get a new pot?

Aluminum or steel? If aluminum, it will look hazy and ugly. That is okay. That hazy oxidation layer protects from aluminum leaching into your beer during the boil.

Can’t find anything on it listing, but as its very light. How about a picture?

WTF, did you cook muffins in it? Keep scrubbing and next time move the pot off the burner when adding LME. You’re caramelized it.

I think that’s from his soaking bottles, judging by the round circles on the bottom. Did you apply heat to your pot?

To avoid flavors in your next brew, if you scrub it good and get rid of the crud, make sure you give the pot time to build up an oxidized(?) layer before using it again.

I scrubbed my stainless pot real good once just before using and got some metallic flavors in my beer.
I think it takes a few days or you can stick you pot in your oven and heat it.
I think it’s mentioned in Palmer’s “how to brew” as he is an expert on metallurgy.

Thanks for the replys…

Don’t want to take a chance and probably will just suck it up and buy another pot.

[quote=“DarkSider”]Thanks for the replys…

Don’t want to take a chance and probably will just suck it up and buy another pot.[/quote]
No, no, that’s not necessary. Go get some Barkeeper’s Friend. That ought to clean it up.

So you are saying a bunch of “pot” stained your kettle and now you are really craving cheezits?

What what?

[quote=“dsiets”]
I scrubbed my stainless pot real good once just before using and got some metallic flavors in my beer.
I think it’s mentioned in Palmer’s “how to brew” as he is an expert on metallurgy.[/quote]

Palmer states (in a variety of places) that the oxidative layer for stainless forms quickly, as in, nearly immediately. Moreover, for small concentrations of metals, they will be “consumed” by the yeast. I would guess your metallic flavors came from somewhere else.

[quote=“Silentknyght”][quote=“dsiets”]
I think it’s mentioned in Palmer’s “how to brew” as he is an expert on metallurgy.[/quote]

Palmer states (in a variety of places) that the oxidative layer for stainless forms quickly, as in, nearly immediately. Moreover, for small concentrations of metals, they will be “consumed” by the yeast. I would guess your metallic flavors came from somewhere else.[/quote]

He does say this about stainless and I have considered all other options, but when I look back, it was the only beer I’ve encountered a strong metallic flavor.
Leading up to this, I had been moving to a new residence and had packed various things in my brew pot for the move. One of the items in the bottom of the pot
was a can of soup :roll: and I don’t recall how long it sat there until I brewed again but I discovered I had a couple spots of rust on the bottom of my pot the morning
I went to use it.

Now, I don’t remember how many methods I used to get those spots removed but when I looked at all other causes for metallic flavors in beer, I can’t help but think the pot is the culprit.
Maybe he didn’t mean it this way but he does use the phrase, “The trouble with stainless steel corrosion is usually not an off-flavor,…”

Maybe I didn’t scrub enough, who knows, but it has me vexed.

I will try to clean it, but a new pot will be here tomorrow and I will NOT use it to boil my stuff anymore.

Enjoyed the comments and thanks for the help!!! Sound like a crowd I would like to share a beer or 6 with.

:cheers:

boiling diluted vinegar in there will help clear it up as well.

I also found that on the internet… Going to try that, but got new pot yesterday.

Yeah just boil it in there and let it sit over night… the stuff should come off with minimal scrubbing afterwards.

“bar keepers friend” the gold pack only.
copper pads on stainless ware
stainless pads on aluminum.

and take those al pots to the recycler… unless you really liked the taste of hi school lunch…

You’d be amazed at how well the BKF cleans up a kettle.

[quote=“flcncrst”]“bar keepers friend” the gold pack only.
copper pads on stainless ware
stainless pads on aluminum.

and take those al pots to the recycler… unless you really liked the taste of hi school lunch…[/quote]

NO steel pads on Aluminum!
It will only help to promote corrosion.