Stable fermentation temp for ales?

I have my 1st two home brews (both ales) fermenting in my closet at home. I’ve been using the swamp method to keep them cool (between 68 & 76 degrees). The temp has been fluctuating between that range I noted, is that ok or does it need to stay at one temp the entire time? I do my best to keep it between that range but find it hard to keep it at one temp.

I haven’t been brewing long either, 18 batches or so, but I’ve found my best beers to have stayed at a consistent temp, usually between 62 and 64 in my swamp coolers. That means the actual fermentation temp is probably between 68 and 70.

I really need to get a over-ride controller for my fridge. I hope they turn out OK.

First batch ever…I thought the basement at my place would be the best, but this time of year its a stable 60F down there. The yeast packet says 65F is optimal low temp. So, I chanced it and moved the primary upstairs (sloshed her around a bit, hopefully it’ll be ok). It’s at least 62 down at floor level. Don’t know if I should be so anal about this, so any input would be helpful for this rank noob.

I’m sure that when it comes to reproducibility or the ability to clone a specific commercial beer, temp control is key. But when it comes to just making decent beer that you like, I think keeping things in a range is enough. Keep them warm enough to ferment, cool enough to be under control. Starting off lower and finishing higher is also often a good idea.

Possibly use larger frozen bottles? Are you changing the bottles out 2 times a day?

See my signature line for an inexpensive digital temp controller and how to wire it.

60* air temp would be perfect. Fermenting beer generates heat. So the beer will be closer to 65-67*. Your basement should be a more constant temp. With the carboy/pail being on the floor. Were as upstairs, you probably turn the heat up in the evening when you are home?

Because the beer is in a water bath, it’s closer to the temp of the water. Even though there is a glass/plastic barrier, think of it as one big liquid pool.